Is it stupid to not buy items?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Cuphead
  3. Is it stupid to not buy items?

User Info: esbeekay

esbeekay
1 month ago#1
I have beat every boss on the first level except the flower and the zeppelin level without buying any items/upgrades

Is this a viable move or am I going to have to eventually buy an upgrade?

I have 11 coins right now

User Info: Fracastador

Fracastador
1 month ago#2
You can beat the game without items (It's much harder than with them), but a fair number of them are very helpful.

Additionally, the items you can purchase don't change until you start buying the initial ones, I think.
Would you like to hear a bit about the wondrous shoopuf?
Maechen

esbeekay
1 month ago#3
Which do you suggest I get first?

User Info: RaisinBizzle

RaisinBizzle
1 month ago#4
Without question the smoke dash or whatever it's called that allows you to dash through enemies or projectiles without taking damage is the first you should buy. After that, charge shot is super powerful, but I think you have to buy another weapon before it becomes available.
3DS friend code: 1075-0729-0396
Currently Playing: Othello, Dominos, Chinese Checkers

Fracastador
1 month ago#5
RaisinBizzle posted...
Without question the smoke dash or whatever it's called that allows you to dash through enemies or projectiles without taking damage is the first you should buy. After that, charge shot is super powerful, but I think you have to buy another weapon before it becomes available.

I've heard some rumours that the charge shot is actually getting nerfed, so it may not be as strong after the game next updates.
Maechen

esbeekay
1 month ago#6
I kind of like how hard the game is and don't want to make it easier on myself but I have a feeling the later levels are balanced around you having got at least a few upgrades

User Info: bhamacuk

bhamacuk
1 month ago#7
I can't believe anyone is able to do without the smoke bomb. To me that is essential!

User Info: xXHeH8MeXx

xXHeH8MeXx
1 month ago#8
I got to the third zone with just the smoke bomb, and spread shot. I didn't use the spread shot all that much for most of it, but comes in handy later on
RIP Karma, my little Guardian kitty 6/23/15
Champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends.

esbeekay
1 month ago#9
I'm not trying to be a tough guy or anything I really just want to see how far I can get without any of that stuff

I'm currently having a bit of trouble with the flower boss, his final phase is tripping me up

Fracastador
1 month ago#10
esbeekay posted...
I'm not trying to be a tough guy or anything I really just want to see how far I can get without any of that stuff

I'm currently having a bit of trouble with the flower boss, his final phase is tripping me up

Island 1 is extremely doable without items. Specific weapons become more useful in islands 2 and 3 as boss hitboxes and movement situations change. If you don't have run and gun experience already, I think there's a big difficulty boost on average between each island. If you do have said experience, then you probably have a lot of the baseline skills you need, so the learning curve isn't an issue.

Smoke bomb is almost always good. It probably helps with the flower, but I don't remember it making a particular difference though. I don't think his attacks block you off that effectively, so phasing through them isn't that much of an advantage over just dashing/jumping out of the way. I might be wrong.

Again, still entirely possible to do a no-item run.
Maechen
  1. Boards
  2. Cuphead
  3. Is it stupid to not buy items?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived