The lyrics to the song "Hail the Nightmare" on the OST; Latin, anyone?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Bloodborne
  3. The lyrics to the song "Hail the Nightmare" on the OST; Latin, anyone?

User Info: kitschnsync

kitschnsync
2 years ago#11
(Maledictus!)
Donum libas,
(Inficimur!)
Valedictus bestia.

(Maledictus!)
Pace do si donas.
(Inficimur!)
Argentum aqua in tenebris.

Ave, sanguine!
Redemptio risor se,
Exi, et exi, et pleba tua salus.

Vale, vale,
(Inficimur!)
In tenebris aqua.

(Maledictus!)
Et argentum aqua.
(Inficimur!)
Et argentum aqua.

Sanguine!
Sanguine!

It's very Healing Church-y. They command the cursed/tainted to "say goodbye to the beast." "If you do, you will give us peace", they say. They exalt blood. They command those who challenge redemption to leave in order to save everyone else. The last half of the song is the choir saying farewell to the cursed/tainted, poetically letting them slip "into dark water".

This, along with other environmental clues (kidnappers, huge barred doors, walled off arches in the middle of streets, a subterranean jail, and lots of vehicles large enough to transport many prisoners) indicate Hypogean Gaol is basically a ghetto or concentration camp for beasts, or it was before Old Yharnam was torched.

User Info: yeti434

yeti434
2 years ago#12
(Slandered)
Gift us a sip,
(Poisoned!)
Having bidden farewell from the beast.

(I speak of evil)
If you surrender, I give you peace.
Silver water in the darkness.

Hail, with blood!
Redeem the mocker from himself,
You depart, and your pleb departs safety.

Farewell, Farewell,
(Poisoned!)
In the water darkness.

(Slandered)
If you surrender, I give you peace.
(Poisoned)
Silver water in the darkness

Hail, with blood
Redeem the mocker from himself
You depart, and your pleb departs safety.

Farewell, Farewell,
(Poisoned!)
In the water darkness.

(Slandered)
and silver water
Poisoned!
and silver water

From Blood!
From Blood!

I am little rusty in latin, but that was my attempt. I translated bestia in the abalitve, although one could translate it in the nominative (Beast, having bidden farewell) or the vocative. Hard to tell without stress marks.

Do/Dono looks like a bit of a pun. Dare has several means, to give, to surrender, to render. That was my idea behind the translation there.

The punctuation is very misleading in the translation. In classical latin, there is no punctuation. So I basically ignored it in Exi, Et Exi, which helped make sense of that lyric.

I am going to get a second opinion from a friend on my translation before saying anything definitive. It seems specially to be a choir song.

User Info: Krunkazord

Krunkazord
2 years ago#13
Latin teacher here. Happy to lend my services with translating and figuring out an accurate transcription of the lyrics. There has been some good work on that front thus far, but some of the proposed transcriptions simply would not make sense grammatically. For example, valedictus is not a word in Latin and is more than likely just a repetition of maledictus. This would make bestia an instrumental ablative going with the perfect passive participle, thus "cursed by the beast".

For the first stanza, going both by grammar and by sound, this seems to be correct:

Maledictus
Donum libas
Inficimur
Maledictus bestia

(Cursed)
You pour out your gift.
We are tainted.
(Cursed by the beast)

Things get a little janky from here. If they are indeed singing do si donas, then pace does not make sense grammatically because it is in the ablative. Could they rather be singing pater, in the vocative?

Argentum aqua in tenebris also would not make sense grammatically, because you'd have two nominative nouns in awkward apposition with one another (unless you reckoned argentum as the accusative object of the verb donas, which would be a stretch considering that inficimur separates the two). Rather, to me it sounds like they are singing aquae in the genitive.

The stanza would thus transcribe:

Maledictus
Pater do si donas.
Inficimur
Argentum aquae in tenebris

(Cursed)
O Father I surrender if you grant it.
We are tainted.
Silver in the shadows of the water.

In the next stanza, if they were indeed singing ave you would expect sanguine to appear in the vocative rather than the ablative. I distinctly hear a 'T' sound, however, and I think I agree with a previous poster that it is mater, perhaps with an ablative of source in sanguine.

I don't think it is redemptio risor se but it sounds more to me like redemptio risa se, which is a perfect passive participle from the verb ridere, to laugh.

They could be saying exi et, or alternatively exciet, one being a second person imperative taking redemptio as vocative, the other one a third person indicative taking redemptio as nominative. I'm leaning towards exciet, if only because reckoning the conjunctions in exi et would be awkward gramatically.

The next bit is giving me quite a bit of difficulty. I'm quite sure I hear flebatur followed by the preposition a (which would make sense for indicating the agent of the passive verb), but the word after that is hard to make out. Perhaps salis? This means "salts", and is often used metonymically to refer to the waves in Latin, but I honestly can't hear the word apart from the "S" sounds, so that's pure conjecture on my part. Also usually the preposition a for agency is only used for people, not for things, so that might not fly. At any rate, the line would transcribe something like this:

Mater sanguine
Redemptio risa se
Exciet exciet. Flebatur a salis

O Mother from the blood,
Redemption, having been laughed at,
rouses itself, rouses itself. It is lamented by the waters(?)

After that it could be vale, vale, or male, male.

I've run out of space, but will compile the lyrics all together below!

Krunkazord
2 years ago#14
Okay so putting it all together, I have something like this, though it is of course debatable at many points.

Maledictus
Donum libas
Inficimur
Maledictus bestia

Maledictus
Pater do si donas.
Inficimur
Argentum aquae in tenebris.

Mater sanguine
Redemptio risa se
Exciet exciet. Flebatur a salis.

Vale, vale,
Inficimur
In tenebris aquae.

Maledictus
Et argentum aquae.
Inficimur
Et argentum aquae.

Sanguine!
Sanguine!

(Cursed)
You pour out your gift.
We are tainted.
(Cursed by the beast)

(Cursed)
O Father I surrender, if you grant it.
We are tainted.

O Mother from the blood,
rouses itself, rouses itself. It is lamented by the waters(?) .

Farewell, farewell.
We are tainted
In the shadows of the water.

(Cursed)
And the silver of the water.
We are tainted.

From the blood.
From the blood.

User Info: Growshroom

Growshroom
2 years ago#15
It has to be said, amazing work, fellows. It's great that GameFAQ's includes so many Latin students and even a full-on Latin teacher among its posters. This is the first time Souls games have had songs with lyrics, and by the sound of it they have a connection to the greater world and story that the game presents.

(Cursed)
You pour out your gift.
We are tainted.
(Cursed by the beast)

The Old Blood is a gift of the Great Ones (viewed as Gods by the Healing Church), but most of mankind, "cursed" by their lack of higher insight, rejects the "evolving" powers of that blood and instead descends into Beasthood.

(Cursed)
O Father I surrender, if you grant it.
We are tainted.

The faithful are willing to surrender to the will of the Great Ones and accept their blood.

O Mother from the blood,
rouses itself, rouses itself. It is lamented by the waters(?) .

The blood offers redemption for beastly, idiotic humanity; even if they refuse it out of ignorance, this evolution cannot be denied.

Farewell, farewell.
We are tainted
In the shadows of the water.

(Cursed)
We are tainted.

From the blood.
From the blood.

Now, what is this water the lyrics describe? I believe it is a reference to the "Great Lake of Mud" aka the Cosmos. The Cosmos, the skies above humanity, are home to the Gods/Great Ones. As such, we live in the shadow of the water, unuplifted. The water laments our ignorance and seeks to uplift us. We only need to overcome our cursed Beasthood in order to rise to their level.

Now, the silver in the shadows of the water. I think that is referring to the Paleblood that the game tells you to seek. It is intrinsic to the water/cosmos, and is key to mankind's true uplifting.

I believe that the Moon Presence is directly trying to keep humanity from contacting the other Great Ones. Through its control of the moon it can turn non-insightful humans that have taken in the Old Blood into Beasts. It then gives some of its blood to vassals (Hunters), trapping them in its Dream pocket reality where they can gain the strength necessary to overcome the Beasts and other threats.

Once enough of the Old Blood imbibers have been turned to Beasts (and thereby denied "upliftment") and slain by its Hunters, the Moon Presence orders Gehrman to cut the Hunters loose. The culling begins again when the Moon Presence deems it appropriate.

In the case of the Hunt which takes over the course of the game, the Moon Presence wants the player Hunter to not only slay Beasts, but to also uncover the hidden Mensis ritual and thwart it. The success of the ritual would merge the Nightmare of Mensis with reality, bringing back the stillborn Great One Mergo and forcefully "uplifting" whatever humans survive the process.

The Hunter succeeds in this task and Gehrman is prepared to cut them loose. However, the Hunter, over the course of the game (and through eating baby parts) has gained enough Insight to nearly achieve the ultimate goal of the Old One worshippers: full-on transcendence into being an Old One. The Moon Presence realizes that it can no longer control you and as such directly attacks you in a last-ditch effort to stop this transformation.

The ending leaves it ambiguous, but the trophy description hints that you, the newly transformed player, will do what the Moon Presence sought to stop: uplift Humanity into the Cosmos.
+50 HP
Shoot the mask to hear more

User Info: yeti434

yeti434
2 years ago#16
Thanks , I'm glad to have gotten a latin teacher. My hearing is pretty terrible, and it has been so long since I've had to translate latin, so I am glad you went back to the chant.

Krunkazord
2 years ago#17
I wonder if the silver in the shadows of the water (if that is indeed what they are singing) is a reference to Rom, hidden beneath the lake and maintaining his ritual? There are quite a few parts where I'm not particularly confident in the lyrics, so I hope FromSoftware makes them available at some point. Perhaps they will be printed in the upcoming strategy guide by Future Press.

Growshroom
2 years ago#18
The theme of the song seems consistent if your lyrics are somewhat accurate: faithful humans lamenting their ingrained beastly idiocy and praying to the Great Ones for guidance towards their evolution. In that sense, I'm inclined to believe that the lake and the silver in its shadow are more figurative (mankind in the shadow of the cosmos, and the Paleblood within their grasp) than literal (Rom hidden beneath the Byrgenworth lake in a sea of quicksilver).

Rom and his actual powers over the world are a big mystery, however. One thing that is particularly unclear is whether killing Rom revealed the Red Moon to everyone or just to your character.
+50 HP

Growshroom
2 years ago#19
Bump.
+50 HP

User Info: malicemizerfan

malicemizerfan
2 years ago#20
It reveals it to everyone.

there's a note in the church that specifically states Rom is cutting them off from their gods.

Maybe Rom knows that humanity is, as a whole, not ready for the other gods(due to their mutating influence when exposed to regular humans) and trying to cut them off to protect them for the most part.
bleergh.
  1. Boards
  2. Bloodborne
  3. The lyrics to the song "Hail the Nightmare" on the OST; Latin, anyone?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived