Oh damn it... Marquis, what did they do?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Battleborn
  3. Oh damn it... Marquis, what did they do?

User Info: hanautaBOB

hanautaBOB
1 year ago#1
This is a rant about localisation.

Marquis uses some German words in the english version. I played with my brother, his console is German, because he won't believe me that the German localisations tend to get things wrong some things. So every character speaks, naturally, German.

I didn't have a problem with the voices of the Characters so far... but then... I heard Marquis talking German with a FRENCH accent...

Wonder why they didn't do it with some sort of dialect, there are many to choose from, but a FRENCH ACCENT?

By the mere appearance I was thinking he's going to act as a "British Gentleman" and was surprised that he uses some German Phrases, and even more so the German localisation team decided to make him a Frenchmen.

Might be a really Minor aspect of the game, but this sort of character changing that I really hate.

Don't get me wrong, have no problems with Frenchmen, but changing Marquis' "gimmick" like that is something I don't understand.

End of Rant

User Info: ZexxCrine

ZexxCrine
1 year ago#2
hanautaBOB posted...
This is a rant about localisation.

Marquis uses some German words in the english version. I played with my brother, his console is German, because he won't believe me that the German localisations tend to get things wrong some things. So every character speaks, naturally, German.

I didn't have a problem with the voices of the Characters so far... but then... I heard Marquis talking German with a FRENCH accent...

Wonder why they didn't do it with some sort of dialect, there are many to choose from, but a FRENCH ACCENT?

By the mere appearance I was thinking he's going to act as a "British Gentleman" and was surprised that he uses some German Phrases, and even more so the German localisation team decided to make him a Frenchmen.

Might be a really Minor aspect of the game, but this sort of character changing that I really hate.

Don't get me wrong, have no problems with Frenchmen, but changing Marquis' "gimmick" like that is something I don't understand.

End of Rant

I am 100% ok with this and here is why.

To American audiences, the German accent is more exotic(pardon the term) then him just being an English speaking person. It sounds like they tried to keep that same feeling with the German version. The execution, however, is something I can't speak for. If it wasn't well executed by making him not spout French phrases then I whole heartedly disagree with their decision.

hanautaBOB
1 year ago#3
ZexxCrine posted...
To American audiences, the German accent is more exotic(pardon the term) then him just being an English speaking person. It sounds like they tried to keep that same feeling with the German version. The execution, however, is something I can't speak for. If it wasn't well executed by making him not spout French phrases then I whole heartedly disagree with their decision.

As far as I can, tell no french phrases, just the accent.

It also makes the pun obsolete with his skill "Eins, Zwei, Die", cause "Die" almost sounds like "Drei" which would be the correct way of counting.

Instead German get "Un,Doix,Tot", so the pun in the sound is literally lost in translation.

It's really minor piece of the game, but this is one of those cases that really reinforces my altitude of playing games in english.

User Info: ZexxCrine

ZexxCrine
1 year ago#4
hanautaBOB posted...
ZexxCrine posted...

As far as I can, tell no french phrases, just the accent.

It also makes the pun obsolete with his skill "Eins, Zwei, Die", cause "Die" almost sounds like "Drei" which would be the correct way of counting.

Instead German get "Un,Doix,Tot", so the pun in the sound is literally lost in translation.

It's really minor piece of the game, but this is one of those cases that really reinforces my altitude of playing games in english.

If that is the case then I am very dissapointed :( I don't speak any German, but my experiance with seeing videos of the German version of the game impressed me with how close to the English version it appeared to be. The inflections of the words said and some words I could pick out seemed really well translated and kept the humor of the English version. Again though, I don't speak German, but it seemed that way to me. This is a huge blemish on an otherwise well done dub if that is the case.

User Info: Okamiaku

Okamiaku
1 year ago#5
No one noticed his name is french huh ?

I've worked localisation for anime, it's a very dumb process especially when your doing the "notes" process.
You really end up destroying much of the original intent or keeping too much of it that no one understands it.
" With Passioned Breath the Darkness Creeps, It is the Whisperer in the Night to Spy upon your Sleep "

hanautaBOB
1 year ago#6
Okamiaku posted...
No one noticed his name is french huh ?

I've worked localisation for anime, it's a very dumb process especially when your doing the "notes" process.
You really end up destroying much of the original intent or keeping too much of it that no one understands it.

Yeah, the Name sounded like it, and like I said, I expected him to be "British Gentlemen", so probably his German phrases were an idea that came afterwards.

User Info: gatooo

gatooo
1 year ago#7
The french localization of Borderlands made me puke. So I made a promise to myself to play 2k games in english.

Seriously, when you translate "badasses" as "brutasses", it's so lame...

hanautaBOB
1 year ago#8
gatooo posted...
The french localization of Borderlands made me puke. So I made a promise to myself to play 2k games in english.

Seriously, when you translate "badasses" as "brutasses", it's so lame...

That's really bad to hear. Luckily the German Localisation of Borderlands let them be "Badasses", so it didn't hurt too much playing that in German with my brother.

But of course some puns wouldn't work e.g. Kriegs Loot Call-Out "I like babys like my loot... RARE."

I wish he could respect that things like this will always happen due to translation. I find it very hard to explain something I can comprehend which is in english and try to translate without changing the meaning too much.

It must be a tough job to do for a living.
  1. Boards
  2. Battleborn
  3. Oh damn it... Marquis, what did they do?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived