Controversial Opinion: ''Dating'' mechanics should be removed

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 5
  3. Controversial Opinion: ''Dating'' mechanics should be removed

User Info: MasterIntel

MasterIntel
4 weeks ago#1
Should the ''dating'' aspects of Persona games be removed? - Results (351 votes)
Strongly Agree
9.4% (33 votes)
Agree
5.13% (18 votes)
Strongly Disagree
52.71% (185 votes)
Disagree
28.21% (99 votes)
I don't know
4.56% (16 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Okay so I have just finished P5 yesterday at 96 hours.

Great game etc.

Moving on, in my opinion, the dating aspects of this game are flat out bad.
The same issues were presented in P3 and P4.

The improvements in 5 seem to be having the ability to take your wa- girlfriend(s) to dates at different locations.

However there was absolutely no point to this, the scenes were all shallow. Once you hit rank 10, there is literally no point in hanging out with the person as it just wastes time.

Therefore, this ''special bond'' mentioned in the game after you start ''dating'' them consists of the main character either:
A) Losing time by hanging out with his SO but this wastes time gameplay wise and consists of repeated scenes. Hence player is encouraged not to do this.

B) Simply not hanging out with the person the main character is dating, which does not make sense in regards to being in a relationship. This just makes it immersion breaking and a contradiction to dating them in the first place.

This is on top of how immersion breaking things become if you choose to date any of the female main characters and how nothing is fitted into the main story and how characters interact.

It gets worse when I remember the additional scenes which occur part of the main story. Spoliers:

During the ending, you can hang out with who you date to see 2 additional unique scenes. These are terrible, forced and nothing but tacked on. They personally took me out of the context of everything else going on with the main story and if anything, damaged the flow of the story

For those who have not finished, the above point is that the additional scenes are tacked on.

It is like, forgive me if this comes across as offensive, the dating aspects come across as if they are merely present for players to fantasize being with anime girls because things are not so good IRL.

There is little point in keeping romance as an option in these games if it continues to be implemented so badly. With all the additional scenes being made for some events, I'd rather Atlus focus more time on important things of the game such as good, continuous character development that happens in the main story.

User Info: Sw0rd_27

Sw0rd_27
4 weeks ago#2
I'd rather see it improved than trashed.
FC 4682-8917-7789

User Info: mada7

mada7
4 weeks ago#3
I agree with a lot of what you said but disagree with your solution. I think a better solution is to implement them better and integrate them more into the story. That also seems to be the approach Atlus likes to use and only cuts features that are generally disliked/add nothing to the game (ex. fatigue from p3). It does mean a fair bit of extra work on their part for some lines a lot of players won't see but it is a generally liked mechanic that definitely has room for improvement

The losing time thing just to spend time with them I would want to keep though and I'll explain why. The game gives you quite a few things you can do that are technically a waste of time to do but if you're roleplaying as the character might be something he would do anyways even if it isn't optimal. Spending time with a significant other could easily be that sort of thing that you could do for roleplaying purposes. This actually ties in to how those extra scenes are integrated into the story. The fact that they took you out of the context of everything else going on with the main story means they accomplished what they were meant to do. The explanation involves spoilers so be warned. The first one takes place after joker agrees to confess to breaking his probation and accepting the consequences. His life is going to drastically change for the worse. So wanting to spend time with someone that can just take you away from what's about to happen is a very reasonable thing to want and who better for that then the person you're dating. The second time is right after getting released from juvenile hall which was undoubtedly a very difficult and taxing experience. This is also a situation where one would reasonably want to spend time with someone that will take their mind off what happened and would've missed that person more than any other.
3DS Friend Code = 5155 - 3829 - 9448

User Info: Runeweaver

Runeweaver
4 weeks ago#4
If they removed the dating/friendship system then it wouldn't be persona anymore, if you don't like the persona system, then swap to one of the other Shin Megami Tensei series.

User Info: 1Tekkaman

1Tekkaman
4 weeks ago#5
Sw0rd_27 posted...
I'd rather see it improved than trashed.

Runeweaver posted...
If they removed the dating/friendship system then it wouldn't be persona anymore, if you don't like the persona system, then swap to one of the other Shin Megami Tensei series.
I swim through a sea of stars. . . .

User Info: Bellum_Sacrum

Bellum_Sacrum
4 weeks ago#6
Runeweaver posted...

Literally half of the Persona games don't have that. Haven't the subhuman trash that got attracted to P3 because of that and "animuh" got real friends and girlfriends already?
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."

User Info: MasterIntel

MasterIntel
4 weeks ago#7
Runeweaver posted...

Uhh are you trying to imply that the dating mechanics are what sets it apart from the other SMT games?

I've tried Devil Survivor Overclocked and SMT IV. Persona as a subseries has more compelling characters for me which is why I like it so much.

User Info: Heartfang

Heartfang
4 weeks ago#8
It's a really minor issue. The relationship aspect is such a small insignificant part of the entire social link system.

Your problem with the relationships is the same problem the entire social system still has, being nothing in it matters in the scope of the story. Doing all of it or none of it has no effect on anything.Obviously if that is improved, the romance options are going to be improved as well. And I have no interest in the series dropping the calendar based social system, that's what makes persona so unique as a series now.
Common sense is just wisdom with its sleeves rolled up

User Info: FoxyAreku

FoxyAreku
4 weeks ago#9
The social links are the only reason I play persona games tbh.

Don't care about actually dating anyone, I just like the character development. So if this entails getting rid of social links, no, fully against it.
"How do you forget about windrun as windrunner?!"

User Info: Centurionzo

Centurionzo
4 weeks ago#10
The Dating system and the social link are what really set persona apart for the rest of the SMT series and one of the main reasons that Persona is popular, Persona 2 did have a amazing story but was nowhere popular as P3
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 5
  3. Controversial Opinion: ''Dating'' mechanics should be removed

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived