This is my least favorite 3DS EO game because of...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth
  3. This is my least favorite 3DS EO game because of...

User Info: Salocool

Salocool
2 months ago#1
Series fatigue, simple can't muster that much fun out of it.

I feel like I'm doing EO4, EOU and EOU2 all over again, but with a worse storyline. I'm not even sure I'd manage to get some excitement out of me if ATLUS ever announces EOU3 at this point.
And the Lord [...] drive out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.

User Info: jisn064

jisn064
2 months ago#2
Ok.
Sorry for my bad english ;D
F.C.: 0147-0383-6259 /-/ Nos Siej

User Info: Blademaster_Aio

Blademaster_Aio
2 months ago#3
Play something else, to recharge.

Burning out is not fun.

Games should be fun to play, so if you're not having fun it's time for a break.
Believe God is one, and believe in the hereafter.

User Info: Oshawottownage

Oshawottownage
2 months ago#4
Blademaster_Aio posted...
Play something else, to recharge.

Burning out is not fun.

Games should be fun to play, so if you're not having fun it's time for a break.

This. Sometimes ya just gotta take a break.

I burned out in EOIV. I played some other games for a few months came back and made the 6th stratum my b****(okay more like the 6th stratum made me its b**** like 30 times before I finally wasn't the bottom anymore but still...)

Personally the character customization, all new classes, no returning enemies and very well done stratum gimmicks keep it feeling fresh for me.

Some of the best dungeon design in the series I say.

I am definitely not an alt.
Official oshawott of the 3DS board

User Info: andrewlkt

andrewlkt
2 months ago#5
That's why I play different series. I bought Trails of the Sky 2 and 3 during this year's Steam sale and ended up taking a break between them by playing something else.

I'm finishing my first run of EO5 this weekend and moving on to something else, even if I haven't killed 6th stratum boss by that time.

User Info: lukeskywalker66

lukeskywalker66
2 months ago#6
When I got 100% on EOV, for some reason I had a spontaneous urge to play EOIV again (well, someone posted a fun party in another thread and I wanted to jump on a no-Medic/Tank run.) And I gotta say: Wow. I got real giddy just pulling up the guild and stepping into the Old Forest Mine. Despite the fact that I've seen everything - even if it's been a while since then - there was a strange rush of excitement that I never really got out of EOV. (Aside from the first time playing the demo, with the hype of the game actually being localized after so long.) It seems incomprehensible: Everything's been mostly streamlined - you've got all the unions, classes, races, skill trees (well, kinda) all polished to a T and available right out of the gate. Real armor, stat mechanics, the 30 floor experience. But something wasn't quite right.

The sad reality is that aside from a few interesting classes and their respective mechanics, the overall whole package of EOV is really quite bland. Stepping into the 6th stratum didn't faze me all that much because by the time I reached the 4th, there was already an impression I was a solitary guild alone in the entirety of the universe. NPCs were literally just functions, a nice portrait slapped on a menu that had nothing interesting to say. Doubly so for the colorful QR guilds, never mind the game's very own space cadet. Patrons vanished from the bar aside from the permanent residents who again exist as menus. What few adventure episodes left became nothing more than flavor text slapped on a trickle of exp. Not finding much use in them (like TP, or items found in other games' dead-ends) I could easily ignore those as well. And with the last facade gone, there's nothing really hiding the fact that there's 30 floors, each stratum with 3 FOEs, 1-2 bosses, monsters, and nothing more. It became methodical enough to become predictable, even without having already played the game.

It's true that the amount of NPC dialogue or labyrinth variety doesn't have any impact on the gameplay, and they've never been the focus of EO games. But they do make it a little less forgettable. And when they're as notably absent as in V it can get rather jarring. I specifically booted up IV again to show that I don't really suffer from the 'series fatigue' like TC or others have attested to. V just happens to be so barebones that its few attempts to spice up the gameplay (ie. cooking) become banal insanely quickly. That and the mapping tools are rather atrocious, although I suppose it wouldn't matter if you just auto-mapped.
Anyone can believe in the truth. To believe in nonsense is a demonstration of loyalty... it serves as a uniform.
And if you have a uniform, you have an army.

User Info: Asbel__Lhant

Asbel__Lhant
2 months ago#7
Between IV, EOU1, EOU2, and EO5, EO5 is my least favorite as well. I still enjoyed it, sure. It's well refined, and I look forward to playing it again with a different party, but it noticeably lacks in so many areas. None of the music in EO5 stuck out to me while I loved the soundtracks of the other games. EO5 lacked memorable PC's, the overworld of EOIV, and the sheer amount of content of EOU1 and EOU2. EO5 is just so bare bones and basic. If I didn't know the series, and I was told it came before the other three, I would absolutely believe it.
Insert something clever here. I don't really care.

User Info: Salocool

Salocool
2 months ago#8
lukeskywalker66 posted...
The sad reality is that aside from a few interesting classes and their respective mechanics, the overall whole package of EOV is really quite bland. Stepping into the 6th stratum didn't faze me all that much because by the time I reached the 4th, there was already an impression I was a solitary guild alone in the entirety of the universe. NPCs were literally just functions, a nice portrait slapped on a menu that had nothing interesting to say. Doubly so for the colorful QR guilds, never mind the game's very own space cadet. Patrons vanished from the bar aside from the permanent residents who again exist as menus. What few adventure episodes left became nothing more than flavor text slapped on a trickle of exp. Not finding much use in them (like TP, or items found in other games' dead-ends) I could easily ignore those as well. And with the last facade gone, there's nothing really hiding the fact that there's 30 floors, each stratum with 3 FOEs, 1-2 bosses, monsters, and nothing more. It became methodical enough to become predictable, even without having already played the game.

It's true that the amount of NPC dialogue or labyrinth variety doesn't have any impact on the gameplay, and they've never been the focus of EO games. But they do make it a little less forgettable. And when they're as notably absent as in V it can get rather jarring. I specifically booted up IV again to show that I don't really suffer from the 'series fatigue' like TC or others have attested to. V just happens to be so barebones that its few attempts to spice up the gameplay (ie. cooking) become banal insanely quickly. That and the mapping tools are rather atrocious, although I suppose it wouldn't matter if you just auto-mapped.

All things considered, I'm of the same mind.

I tried replaying a bit around EOU and EO4 during the last two days, and I was much more engrossed than my playthrough of EO5.

Methodical and predictable is certainly an excellent choice of words, albeit the rest of your post equally resonates with my own perception.
And the Lord [...] drive out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.

User Info: ImperialNeko

ImperialNeko
2 months ago#9
So far the player class design is what holds me back the most from enjoying the game. Encounters being puzzle-based is fun. Having some form of interactions with other guilds during exploration is a nice touch, but then the changes to the UI and half-assed mechanics like cooking grind my gears.

I mean, it's a fun game, but there's so many little things piling up that hold me back from regarding it as much as 4 and 2U.
Glory for loli.
Also, Inazuma is best waifu. Nanodesu/Nanodeath for everyone <3

User Info: NeonShadow1

NeonShadow1
2 months ago#10
EO5, to me, feels like it has been designed to be an entry point into the series for new players. Highly polished but barebones games are usually intended as such. This is probably why some series veterans might find it lacklustre.
FC: 0962-9949-6556
  1. Boards
  2. Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth
  3. This is my least favorite 3DS EO game because of...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived