The Secret to Learning Techniques - Finally uncovered

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Digimon World
  3. The Secret to Learning Techniques - Finally uncovered

User Info: Romsstar

Romsstar
5 years ago#1
Ok, this might be a decade too late but I was playing around with the Game Code the other day and guess what I found:

The Mechanics to learning techniques.

Now let me explain:

Every Digimon has Natures.
The first, the second, third you know.

Like Agumons first Nature is fire and Agumons lacking a second which makes battle it's third since the third one can't be skipped. Either you have 1, 2 and 3 or you have only 1 or 1 and 3.

Let's illustrate this on a concrete example:

Let's say youw want to learn fire tower.

Example 1:

Fire Tower

If Fire is your first nature, the chances of learning it in battle:
25%

But if Fire is your second Nature it is only 16%
and with your third Nature it is even only 11%.

Now basically if you want to learn a technique which belongs to your third Nature that sucks because the chance is rather low, but in some cases it is even worse than low:

Example 2:

Let's say we want to learn Meltdown.
Why? Because it is a badass technique. But sometimes difficult to learn.

So let's see what the game says.

Now if Fire is your first Nature, probability to learn it in a fight is 14% .

Not very cool but not impossible.

Case it is your second nature, we are stuck with merely 6%.

But here comes the kicker: If it is your third nature it is 0%. What does this means? A technique your digimon could POTENTIALLY learn is NOT learnable because it is impossible.

Now let me make things clear, a technique that can't be learned in battle certainly can't be learned in training as well.

For example if you want to use Buster Dive with your Metalgreymon, you have to learn it for e.g with Tyrannomon first, otherwise your Metalgreymon can't learn it.

Why is is though sometimes easier to learn a technique from Bosses than from normal Enemy Digimon?

We have two factors applying here. First of all, the Frequency Rate for certain techniques is an awful lot higher. While this doesn't affect your chances by much it does have an effect.

But what is more important, your chances rise if the digimon using the technique you wanna learn has this technique as THEIR first nature as well.

So if a technique you want to learn belongs to your first nature, and the digimon you want to learn it from has the same element as its first nature, your chances are very good to learn it.

so forget about training your brains till its maxed out, won't give you anything.

I might post a whole table of probability if the interest is high enough.
I can also provide the techinal prove with the programming code if someone is doubting the accurance of what I say.

User Info: Pgss_Sonic

Pgss_Sonic
5 years ago#2
Although I don't think I quite understand it fully, I would definitely be interested in seeing a list of probabilities or something like that. That's probably because today I tried about 30x to get Thunder Justice from WaruMonzaemon for my Monzaemon, but never got it. Out of those 30 tries I only managed to get Muscle Charge once. Since I didn't want Muscle Charge I kept on resetting, but Muscle Charge never showed up again.

After that I tried to get Muscle Charge from Rockmon at Mt. Infinity, but after about 20 tries I got nothing. Then I went to fight a Mud Frigimon at Mt. Panorama and got it after the first fight!

User Info: Guranen

Guranen
5 years ago#3
This is certainly interesting...
It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything...

Romsstar
5 years ago#4
Additional Information:

- Either 50 or 999 IQ, chances to learn the Technique remain the same
- The Quantity a technique was used in a battle is not relevant.
- It is not even relevant if the technique hit or got performed completely as long as there was an ATTEMPT to perform it.
- The Question IF you learned the technique remains undecided till your Enemy (or well you) hits 0 HP.
Ultimately:

If you used "Your Order" in one fight and got a new technique,
you reset the same fight but press your order less or just alter your battle behaviour from the fight before you might not learn the technique anymore.

On the other hand, if you did nothing in the first fight (like just watching), learned a technique, you reset and behave exactly the same, the chance that you learn this technique again are 100%.

The Game takes the expression "Nothing is decided till the end of the war" pretty literal, since it is not decided before but after the fight whether you learned the technique or not.

User Info: Guranen

Guranen
5 years ago#5
Romsstar posted...
Additional Information:

- Either 50 or 999 IQ, chances to learn the Technique remain the same
- The Quantity a technique was used in a battle is not relevant.
- It is not even relevant if the technique hit or got performed completely as long as there was an ATTEMPT to perform it.
- The Question IF you learned the technique remains undecided till your Enemy (or well you) hits 0 HP.
Ultimately:

If you used "Your Order" in one fight and got a new technique,
you reset the same fight but press your order less or just alter your battle behaviour from the fight before you might not learn the technique anymore.

On the other hand, if you did nothing in the first fight (like just watching), learned a technique, you reset and behave exactly the same, the chance that you learn this technique again are 100%.

The Game takes the expression "Nothing is decided till the end of the war" pretty literal, since it is not decided before but after the fight whether you learned the technique or not.

Keep bumping this topic with information. I appreciate the effort!
It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything...

User Info: ZidaneTribal93

ZidaneTribal93
5 years ago#6
So 25&#65285 means about 0.04%?

Romsstar
5 years ago#7
Oh, I didn't notice...

25&#65285 means simply 25%...

my computer messed up ASCII...

every &#65285 you see means %.

User Info: ZidaneTribal93

ZidaneTribal93
5 years ago#8
I really wish the was a battle mechanics FAQ like in nother RPGs here on GameFAQs.

User Info: LeLicorne

LeLicorne
5 years ago#9
Judging by experience, this appears to be true. Your digimon seems to learn much more easily techs of his 1st specialty and much harder techs of 2nd and 3rd specialty. Furthermore, it could very well be as Rommstar has said; that the enemy's specialty(ies) also influence the learning of techs.

What I am also 100% sure is that the probability rate of learning techs is increased almost twice as much (if not more) when fighting "boss" digimon. This I have tested and proven myself and I'm pretty sure it would be pretty apparent to any long-time DW1 player.

What I'd just like to add is this: as long as the enemy HAS/knows the tech, it doesn't matter if he uses it or not, you can learn it all the same. The number of times the enemy uses a tech DOES NOT affect anything at all. You can learn techs by defeating enemies in one hit without letting them perform any attack whatsoever and still learn the techs. I am also 100% sure of this.
~ R. Kallisti (LeLicorne)

User Info: LeLicorne

LeLicorne
5 years ago#10
I tried to learn Ultra Poop Hell with an Etemon once. I battled PlatinumSukamon over 200 times, quite literally. I never learned it with Etemon. I thought it was some kind of glitch at first. I tried reseting the game several times and tried different battle tactics to no avail. So I eventually gave up after spending so many hours and days without success.

Once I got a Sukamon, I decided to give it another try. I learned Ultra Poop Hell on my 5th try.

Etemon's 1st specialty is Battle, and his 2nd is Filth (which in this case would count as the 3rd, if Rommstar is correct--meaning even less probability of learning).

Sukamon's 1st (and only) specialty is Filth.
~ R. Kallisti (LeLicorne)
  1. Boards
  2. Digimon World
  3. The Secret to Learning Techniques - Finally uncovered

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived