What's the difference between the 3000 series and 5000 series?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 2
  3. What's the difference between the 3000 series and 5000 series?

User Info: VeryDarkSoul

VeryDarkSoul
5 years ago#1
I was curious, since I own both a 3000 series PS2 and a 5000 series one, and the 5000 one seems to collect a lot more dust. It leaves dust on my games (but no scratches, so it's not that big of a deal) however, when playing the 3000 one, I see virtually no dust on my games at all.
Ron Paul 2012

User Info: MunKy321

MunKy321
5 years ago#2
The difference is 2000.
Don't forget to howl at the sunflowers like a chipmunk doing its groceries on a rainy day in the middle of the ninth 7th sea. And smile! Don't forget to smile!

User Info: Lum_Yatsura

Lum_Yatsura
5 years ago#3
Older versions have an iLink port I'm not too familiar with.
What's the buzz? A high voltage positive ion attack!? Chaaa!

User Info: DJ_Gunner

DJ_Gunner
5 years ago#4
The DVD laser was upgraded, alot less DREs from the 5000 series if I recall correctly (though that could also have been done in the 3900 model).
"Aren't you the guy that bought expensive HDMI cables claiming cheap ones funded terrorism?" -The Killer 5

User Info: bungiefan

bungiefan
5 years ago#5
iLink is on the older system, and is a FireWire connection to LAN systems together for multiplayer/multisystem play. Ethernet is a lot easier to get equipment for, and to configure, so they dropped iLink, but some older games can't LAN with ethernet., Also, built-in IR sensor for the remote, and a lock on unofficial discs that broke compatibility with some older cheat device versions.
http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
My PlayStation2 HDD guide. Made with a Japanese PS2 with a HDD and PSBBN 0.20-0.31.

User Info: Nogib

Nogib
5 years ago#6
You mean 30000 series and 50000 series! :P
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

User Info: Master20011

Master20011
5 years ago#7
The 3000 series also allows some 3rd party cheat devices to run which were blocked in the 5000 series
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 2
  3. What's the difference between the 3000 series and 5000 series?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived