Missed PS2 era entirely... Want to catch up

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 2
  3. Missed PS2 era entirely... Want to catch up
(message deleted)

User Info: wstfld

wstfld
7 months ago#32
rafamaximo posted...
wstfld posted...
rafamaximo posted...
Dude, if you want to play all PS2 gems by now, you will probably not play anything else until PS8 is around. Literally HUNDREDS OF GAMES worth investing time into

This is not literal.

That actually is. If you come to play only PS2 ultimate masterpieces, than yes, you are likely to play under a hundred games. If you want to play those + the very good ones, then you are likely to play a bit under two hundred games.

Now, if you like several genres and want to play not only the absolutely best ones from every genre, but all games good enough to have you some fun, then well... you are likely to play over 300 PS2 games.

I guess everyone who posted in this topic can literally name 50 different good PS2 games that you can play and have enough fun with. PS2 may not be the best console ever, but it's absolutely the one with the best library ever.

Sure there's 300 fun games, but in terms of playing the best video games presently available there aren't hundreds worth your finite time on PS2. Maybe 50 is more realistic. Which is a ton of great games. No need for hyperbole. I guess if you are really poor and wanted the best possible value, the PS2 can only be beat by a PC.
Last played - Titanfall 2 (8/10)
Now playing - Titanfall 2, LoZ BotW (U), Persona 4 Golden, MLB The Show 2017

User Info: rafamaximo

rafamaximo
7 months ago#33
WTF american kids just think everyone is poor? There are literally over 300 PS2 games worth your time, indeed. That is, if you like all genres of games there is. Specially if you count games released only in Japan.

Saying there's only 50 games to be played in PS2 is simply stupid. If you told there are 50 PS3 games, I could probably agree there's not much more than that. But PS2 has the best library a console will ever have.

Got a challenge to you: pick all PS2 games listed here in Gamefaqs with 100+ votes, sort from highest rating to lowest. Pick the first 300 results showing and list 30 of that games you deem not worth playing. I doubt you can find that much
Insert funny / cool / original / meaningful quote here.

wstfld
7 months ago#34
I think you're assuming there is infinite time for gaming out there. For reference purposes, I think I'd say there are about 20 games worth playing on NES and 25 on PS4. Games get old, often good ones. Black was a blast when it came out, but everyone would be better off just playing whatever random Call of Duty came out last fall. Onimusha was fun at the time but if I recommended that to someone over Bayonetta 2 they'd be mad.
Last played - LoZ BoTW U (10/10)
Now playing - Titanfall 2, MLB The Show 2017, Metro 2033, Dishonored 2

User Info: rafamaximo

rafamaximo
7 months ago#35
Honestly and with all due respect, I strongly disagree.

Every single game out there offers an unique experience. Sure, some feel very similar to others, but they still have something unique on their own (even yearly sports games from same franchise can be quite different from one another). No fancy current gen game can make any PS2 or even NES game obsolete, because those older games will still be delivering the same experience, regardless of how much time ago they were launched.

Black is and will always be the same awesome game it was when launched. Same goes for Onimusha, it's as interesting as it was day one. Newer games have nothing to do with them.

At the end of the day, a game is all about fun. That does not change nor age. A good game will always be a good game, does not matter how long ago it came out.

There's indeed little time for gaming the older we get. I know this better than anyone, unfortunately. But that does not makes any game be worse either. If TC has the time, I'm sure he'll be able to enjoy over 300 very good PS2 games as well as get his time's worth out of it.
Insert funny / cool / original / meaningful quote here.

wstfld
7 months ago#36
rafamaximo posted...
A good game will always be a good game, does not matter how long ago it came out.

This is not true for any medium. Nothing is experienced in a vacuum. It's always compared to everything we have seen, heard, watched, read and played before. Onimusha can only be recommended as a historical curiosity to see how the genre has evolved. I mean, I'd play through it again because I did it when it released, but I can't tell someone to spend 6 hours playing it.

User Info: andri_g

andri_g
7 months ago#37
wstfld posted...
rafamaximo posted...
A good game will always be a good game, does not matter how long ago it came out.

This is not true for any medium. Nothing is experienced in a vacuum.

These are opposite "ends" of the same discussion. It is true that games don't exist in a vacuum, but the important concepts are "appropriate" and "fit". Games that are made appropriate to their challenge and fit with a set of controls that match the game-play demands offer gaming experiences that do not diminish with the release of any other original or "me too" games that follow.

So, a good game that is a good game does not become a lesser game just because of the release of a great game made in the same genre or style. If a game becomes less than good after the release of a similar game then that original game wasn't a good game to begin with. At best, it's a game that was simply good enough until "something better" comes along--and in this case it would seem that something better did.
'~'

User Info: Sanic_Youth1994

Sanic_Youth1994
7 months ago#38
The PS2 had quite a few of those retro game compilations released for it.

Activision Anthology
Atari Anthology
Capcom Classics Collection Volume 1
Capcom Classics Collection Volume 2
Intellivision Lives!
Mega Man Anniversary Collection
Midway Arcade Treasures Volume 1
Midway Arcade Treasures Volume 2
Namco Museum 50th Anniversary
Taito Legends Volume 1
Taito Legends Volume 2

And of course there are games like:

GTA Vice City
GTA Vice City Stories
GTA San Andreas
Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
Resident Evil 4

wstfld
6 months ago#39
andri_g posted...
wstfld posted...
rafamaximo posted...

This is not true for any medium. Nothing is experienced in a vacuum.

These are opposite "ends" of the same discussion. It is true that games don't exist in a vacuum, but the important concepts are "appropriate" and "fit". Games that are made appropriate to their challenge and fit with a set of controls that match the game-play demands offer gaming experiences that do not diminish with the release of any other original or "me too" games that follow.

So, a good game that is a good game does not become a lesser game just because of the release of a great game made in the same genre or style. If a game becomes less than good after the release of a similar game then that original game wasn't a good game to begin with. At best, it's a game that was simply good enough until "something better" comes along--and in this case it would seem that something better did.

Seems like a bummer. There's many games I loved at the time, were universally praised, and then have been exposed as "simply good enough", many times by their own sequels.

User Info: squarion

squarion
6 months ago#40
aaaand no one recommends Timesplitters 2 & 3, probably the best FPS out there.
PSN: squarion, Nintendo ID: squarion, Steam: Yeezus (Level 12, Kanye West pic)
Favorite Game of All Time: Donkey Kong Country 2
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 2
  3. Missed PS2 era entirely... Want to catch up

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived