Why does my ps2 slim create circular scratches on disc surface?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 2
  3. Why does my ps2 slim create circular scratches on disc surface?

User Info: joesolaris

joesolaris
6 months ago#1
is it the laser burning the dvd surface?

User Info: rafamaximo

rafamaximo
6 months ago#2
Not burning, it could either be the lens touching the disc while it spins (what is unlikely, since the lens would be scratched too, thus not reading discs) or the disc reader flat cable (that big one orange/brown).

Open the disc tray with the console off, move the lens all the way up, put a disc in and spin it slowly with your hand. Then do it again but moving the lens all the way down. You will be able to see what's touching the discs that way.
Insert funny / cool / original / meaningful quote here.

User Info: joesolaris

joesolaris
6 months ago#3
rafamaximo posted...
Not burning, it could either be the lens touching the disc while it spins (what is unlikely, since the lens would be scratched too, thus not reading discs) or the disc reader flat cable (that big one orange/brown).

Open the disc tray with the console off, move the lens all the way up, put a disc in and spin it slowly with your hand. Then do it again but moving the lens all the way down. You will be able to see what's touching the discs that way.

so it's something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be8_dW2YbeI

thank god it's not the laser burning the surface disc

User Info: VeryDarkSoul

VeryDarkSoul
6 months ago#4
i read a while ago when researching slims that a lot of them have a flat ribbon cable that comes unglued, so it eventually lifts up and makes contact with the disc. if that's the case all you have to do is glue it/tape it back down or something
Rand Paul 2016

User Info: bungiefan

bungiefan
6 months ago#5
The laser can't cause a scratch like that. It would burn through the foil of the disc first. That is something physical coming loose and rubbing against the disc, most likely the adhesive that holds the plastic on the data cable for the laser out of the way. That plastic is hard enough that it will scratch discs. It is a common problem with slim systems, and the original form factor for the PS2 doesn't suffer from that problem.
http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/wrines88

User Info: VeryDarkSoul

VeryDarkSoul
6 months ago#6
the original ps2 can still develop issues where it scratches discs though, just for a different reason
Rand Paul 2016
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 2
  3. Why does my ps2 slim create circular scratches on disc surface?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived