C64 memories

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Commodore 64
  3. C64 memories

User Info: C64Gamer

C64Gamer
3 years ago#11
Yep, I still have a working C64 with a Commodore monitor and games and everything. It's all packed away in boxes at the moment, but only because I don't have any extra table space handy. I like to pull out my old systems out of storage every now and then and take 'em for a spin.

User Info: Simon33333

Simon33333
3 years ago#12
did you ever play rocketball? Had so much fun with that game with my brother.
Piehead.

User Info: -SourDieseL

-SourDieseL
3 years ago#13
I sure haven't, but I used to play Racketball (irl)
Sour DieseL
Greyfell, 2009-2014. Officially killed by it's own 'Community' RIP

Simon33333
3 years ago#14
well thats pretty close. just change that 'a' to an 'o' and you're there.
Piehead.

C64Gamer
3 years ago#15
Nope, I never played that one. My brother and I usually went with Spy vs. Spy when we wanted to duke it out digitally. I won a lot -- he never did seem to figure out that you almost always win a duel if you stand on the right side (or was it the left?).

Simon33333
3 years ago#16
i remember spy vs spy but i dont think i quite understood how it worked. Or what the aim was. Is it just to kill the other guy? I remember in one there was a rocket or something but that might have been spy vs spy 2 or 3.
Piehead.

C64Gamer
3 years ago#17
Simon33333 posted...
i remember spy vs spy but i dont think i quite understood how it worked. Or what the aim was. Is it just to kill the other guy? I remember in one there was a rocket or something but that might have been spy vs spy 2 or 3.

Killing the other player with traps and duels was just part of it. The main objective was to grab a briefcase, fill it with items you found by searching furniture in the various rooms (passport, key, money, and something else), and escape through the exit.

User Info: drunk1959

drunk1959
3 years ago#18
My C64 is still in my closet. Probably covered in dust.
http://i.imgur.com/p6tdSMC.png

Simon33333
3 years ago#19
yeah i think in 2 or 3 it might have been similar.. collecting items but then i think you escape in the rocket.

Please uncover your C64 and clean it. Its not happy being covered in dust.
Piehead.

User Info: bh7812

bh7812
3 years ago#20
I really like this idea for a topic, OP! I can certainly contribute quite the post with my memories of the C64 for you.

Before I had a NES, still during the time my family had an Atari 2600, my Dad started looking into getting my sister, brother, and I an actual computer for the family. At the time, he used an Apple IIe at work so he really wanted to get us one and I always wanted one. First he looked into an actual Apple IIe, at that point they had bought out a revised model with built in disc drive and handle on it to carry. Too expensive. Then he looked into an Apple compatible PC. Much cheaper but still too expensive. Then, a guy he worked with for many years suggested he get us a Commodore. I knew of the name since I'd gotten a Vic 20 one Xmas without even asking fir it, had no idea I was getting it either! So I knew of the brand already and how it worked. We went out shopping to see the different kinds of Commodore computers there were. At Toys R Us they had Vic 20s, C64s, 128s which had JUST come out and even a few C16s! Dad looked at the prices for the C64 and 128. I THINK the 64 was 259 bucks and the 128 was 350..maybe 375. He couldn't decide so he went to ask his co worker which one. He told Dad get the 64. We went back a few days later and bought the 64. My Mom wasn't too happy with what it had cost,

In the beginning we had just a tape player, some tapes, and a few cartridges Dad's friend gave us to get started. We were so limited with games and stuff at first since dad's friend didn't have a lot of tape software. About 6 months in he told dad to seriously consider a disk drive since that would greatly increase the amount of stuff we could get. Now, the guy giving dad all the advice had 3 or 4 kids, each one had their own C64. He had every released game, application, cartridge and tape. I went to his house several times and was just awe struck because that collection seemed to just keep growing! They also had a few Atari 7800s, which I was jealous of since I'd wanted one of those too.

Anyway, back to toys r us for the disk drive we went. They had 1541s, 1541 2s, 1571s and 1581s to buy. This time dad's friend sent us armed with frickin detailed notes on all 4 disk drives, I kid you not! The price range was massive! The 1541 was cheapest, 1581 was almost 400 damn bucks-plus it took the smaller standard PC floppies so that one was outta the question. It was down to the 1541 and 1571. The 1571 was fast but still a bit expensive so we bought the 1541. Dad was concerned at first since he didn't know if I'd take care if it or not. I did.

Over the next few years, Dad's friend gave us 100s and I do mean 100s of disks with games, apps, everything. Gave dad a stack every week for just 1 dollar! We just had to supply the blank disks! I ended up with..probably between 500 and 700 disks all together. In '90, the 64 broke after several years of perfect operation. I was crushed and wanted it fixed. We took it to Dads friend to see if he could fix it. That night he and his son tried their damnedest but it wouldn't start...

I'll write a 2nd postin a bit to finish this up.
Sent from my iPad via PowerFAQs 1.14
  1. Boards
  2. Commodore 64
  3. C64 memories

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived