This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

In what order are drivers installed on a new pc?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. In what order are drivers installed on a new pc?

User Info: Snack_Stix

Snack_Stix
4 years ago#1
About to buil my second ever gaming desktop. It's been 7 years or so since the last one so I can't recall much.

Anyway once it's all built plugged in and turned on, windows installed , etc, what's the order I should start installing drivers? Gpu? Mobo? Onboard sound? Etc. I remember what my desktop looked like without any drivers, basic as heck. So what's the process from here? Thank you.
y helo thar

User Info: thaandiesel

thaandiesel
4 years ago#2
chipset, gpu, sound, everything else.
<- Q9550@3.3 - G31M - Hyper 212+ - 4 gig 1066 - GTX 470 650mhz - xfi 5.1 usb - turtle beach HPA2 true 5.1 - 64 gig Mushkin SSD ->

User Info: SmoboHash

SmoboHash
4 years ago#3
I just do chipset - network - download latest versions of everything else and install whatever downloads fastest.

User Info: Elite_199

Elite_199
4 years ago#4
Network is all you need.

The rest can be downloaded when you connect to the internet. Order doesn't matter, you're worrying too much aren't you =P
i7-3770k S9 @ 4.5 (1.2v)|| Corsair H80|| 16GB Ripjaws(8-8-8-24) || Nvidia GTX 690|| MSI Z77A-GD65 || 256GB Crucial M4 || 2TB WD Green|| XFX 1000W 80+ Platinum

User Info: FoxtheSly

FoxtheSly
4 years ago#5
It depends on the computer. Whether it's a custom build or a laptop or whatever. Usually though, I do chipset, network (if necessary), gpu, audio, network (if a generic driver is used initially), etc.
I start to think, and then I sink into the paper like I was ink;
When I'm writin' I'm trapped in between the lines, I escape when I finish the rhyme.

User Info: superdarkshadow

superdarkshadow
4 years ago#6
I install the network driver manually if it doesn't work out of the box, then let Windows Update do the rest.

Afterwards I check if the GPU drivers are the newest versions, and if they're not I install the newer versions from Nvidia/AMD/Intel.

Very rarely do I need to install drivers manually, Windows Update works very well.
Corsair TX950W|ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe|Intel Core i5 2500K|CM Hyper 212+|ASUS GTX 670 DC2|Crucial M4 128GB |Samsung Spinpoint F3|CM 690 II Advanced|2x Dell U2312HM

User Info: Dragnfyr

Dragnfyr
4 years ago#7
superdarkshadow posted...
I install the network driver manually if it doesn't work out of the box, then let Windows Update do the rest.

Afterwards I check if the GPU drivers are the newest versions, and if they're not I install the newer versions from Nvidia/AMD/Intel.

Very rarely do I need to install drivers manually, Windows Update works very well.

This is what I do.
Asus M4A88TD-M | Phenom II X4 B55@3.80GHz | 8GB DDR3-1333 | 40GB+64GB SSD | Corsair TX650 | eVGA GTX 470@750/1800 | Samsung T240 | Win 7 x64 | MacBook Air 11.6
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. In what order are drivers installed on a new pc?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived