This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should I upgrade my video card?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Should I upgrade my video card?

User Info: econobeing2

econobeing2
5 years ago#1
My current card is a Radeon HD 4890.

I was already thinking about upgrading from a 2.8GHz 3 core CPU to a 3.2 GHz 4 core (mobo can only handle 4 cores). and doubling the ram from 4GB to 8GB and leaving the video card unchanged. that would run me about $140.

But a new video card would cost more than $140, on top of the $140 i'm already planning on spending.

Will my current one last one or two more years?
Doing all things and considering no one.

User Info: link510

link510
5 years ago#2
What's your resolution? That's stronger than my 5770 and I play games fine at 1080p. I wouldn't bother with that CPU upgrade. Either overclock/unlock your current CPU, or get a whole new mobo/cpu/ram set, which would probably be more than you want to spend.

User Info: THEB0SS666

THEB0SS666
5 years ago#3
Your video card is fine dx11 is terrible anyway very subtle differences.
dell xps 7100 amd radeon 5870 8gb ram amd phenom x6 1045t 3.2ghz 1.5tbhdd

User Info: DiehardFFv2

DiehardFFv2
5 years ago#4
Save your money and hold out for Haswell. Don't get the 955 BE.
Intel i5 3570k @4.2 GHz/ Asrock Z77 Extreme4 / 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1866 / EVGA GTX 570 / Corsair Force GT 120GB / Seagate Barracuda 2TB

User Info: econobeing2

econobeing2
5 years ago#5
link510 posted...
What's your resolution? That's stronger than my 5770 and I play games fine at 1080p. I wouldn't bother with that CPU upgrade. Either overclock/unlock your current CPU, or get a whole new mobo/cpu/ram set, which would probably be more than you want to spend.

1080p, dual monitors (i don't think that matters since i only ever use one while gaming)

mobo/cpu/ram set is a bit more than i'm looking to spend.

the ram upgrade is a definite though, for $30 it's a no brainer.

if it was a choice between a new graphics card and a new cpu (if i didn't want to overclock my current one) which would be the better option?
Doing all things and considering no one.

User Info: link510

link510
5 years ago#6
You/d probably see more improvement from a new graphics card, but your cpu (especially without overclocking) is definitely getting on in age. Is there any reason you refuse to overclock? It would do you quite a bit of good. It would be better than buying a new phenom II and not overclocking it. You're basically sitting on free performance

User Info: Lord Hamm

Lord Hamm
5 years ago#7
Nope
You know why they call it an Xbox 360
When you look at it, you turn 360 degrees and walk away.

User Info: spardasieg

spardasieg
5 years ago#8
Overclock that CPU, but a Hyper 212 Plus for now and crank that thing up, you can always use the cooler for a future CPU anyways so its not like a waste or anything.
My Photography and such: http://insidemyeyes.aminus3.com/ (I take pictures of unsuspecting people and inanimate objects for funsies mostly.)
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Should I upgrade my video card?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived