This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Good 2500K heat sinks?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Good 2500K heat sinks?

User Info: 19darkdenizen92

19darkdenizen92
4 years ago#1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

I'm looking at that right now but I wanted to see if there are other cost effective heat solutions available. It's getting pretty hot where I live and the room can reach 90F. I idle at 49C to upwards of 60C, purely because of the environmental temps. I haven't checked any severe load temps, but my girlfriend just got off of playing Terraria on it and speedfan showed 68C.
i5 2500K | Twin Frozr II GTX 560 Ti | 8GB DDR3 RAM | 550W PSU | RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme Black | Intel H67CL MOBO

User Info: ASAP_Jaspal

ASAP_Jaspal
4 years ago#2
212+ is top tier in bang for your buck. Go for it.
http://i.imgur.com/IUek6.gif

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
4 years ago#3
Honestly yes... the 212+ (and now the 212 Evo) are pretty inexpensive, but you still get some very good results from it. It is compatible with the 2500K.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

19darkdenizen92
4 years ago#4
From what I understand, the 212+ is this one's predecessor. Any one have experience with it?
i5 2500K | Twin Frozr II GTX 560 Ti | 8GB DDR3 RAM | 550W PSU | RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme Black | Intel H67CL MOBO

KillerTruffle
4 years ago#5
The 212+ is the one I have. The Evo came out about 2 months after I got mine. As I recall, the Evo basically smooths out the contact surface a bit by placing the heat pipes closer together, giving a straight copper surface, rather than alternating strips of copper and aluminum.

The 212 is a great air cooler.

19darkdenizen92
4 years ago#6
Last question, what kind of improvement should I expect? A 5C drop? 10 maybe?

KillerTruffle
4 years ago#7
I actually haven't gotten around to purchasing more thermal compound since I upgraded to a 2500k (I know, I need to get on that... it's cheap), but on my old E8400, I saw a drop of roughly 12C on average.

User Info: ihumpmypillow89

ihumpmypillow89
4 years ago#8
Mine (2500K/212 Evo) is OCed to 4.3GHZ and idle it's around 34, with intel burn test at maximum for 100 passes it got into the 70s so yes you'll see a significant drop especially if it's overclocked.
http://i.imgur.com/Q6Ovk.jpg

User Info: SilentCaay

SilentCaay
4 years ago#9
The EVO has a smooth contact surface as well as an improved fan. There will be a big difference if you're still on the stock clock. I'm at 4.5GHz and I don't hit 50C on idle. Right now I'm at 46C and it's pretty warm where I live. Max I get under full load is 70C.
i5-2500k@4.5Ghz, XFX Radeon HD 6870, ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3, 2x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1600, Crucial M4 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD, XFX Pro650W Core, Corsair 650D

KillerTruffle
4 years ago#10
^ I should clarify I saw an average of 12C drop at idle. Under load on stock heatsink, I was hitting above 80C regularly, sometimes up into the 90's. Part of that I'm sure was dried out thermal paste. Anyway, with the 212+, I was idling down around 28-29C (where I'd been idling at 40C before), and never went above 60C even under full load in a hot room. Average load temp as I recall was around 48C or so.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Good 2500K heat sinks?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived