This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Getting some ridiculous load times from GTA IV. Any help?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Getting some ridiculous load times from GTA IV. Any help?

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
5 years ago#21
I find it odd that Vsync would have any bearing whatsoever on loading times, it's usually a strictly runtime setting that synchronizes your framerate to the vertical blank rate of your monitor.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 460 Superclocked
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: Kalirion

Kalirion
5 years ago#22
JKatarn posted...
I find it odd that Vsync would have any bearing whatsoever on loading times, it's usually a strictly runtime setting that synchronizes your framerate to the vertical blank rate of your monitor.

It is odd, and an indication of very bad coding.
Don't be scared of nightmares; make them be scared of you.

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
5 years ago#23
Kalirion posted...
JKatarn posted...

It is odd, and an indication of very bad coding.

I can hear the meeting now..."So, I've determined that we can increase performance by 3% if we integrate the disk caching/loading routines into the Vsync routine..." "Umm...our testing indicates the loading times have increased by 300%" "Yeah, but.....3% more performance!"
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 460 Superclocked
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: datopgamer

datopgamer
5 years ago#24
Just checked around after I got tired of the crappy load times and found out that if you press the 'home' key and open your gfwl while it's loading your load times will drastically drop. I only checked on this because the vsync thing did nothing for me. Now it goes to 2 characters and the game loads after about 5 seconds.
I5 3570k @ 4.2ghz, 12 gigs DDR3 memory, Asrock Z77 Extreme 4, 2x EVGA GTX 670 4gb SC sli, Corsair 750TX PSU, ASUS 24" monitor, 2x 23" Acer Monitors

User Info: Cyborg1000

Cyborg1000
5 years ago#25
Just an idea here, but try clearing the game cache through Steam. I had this problem yesturday when I got Just Cause 2, after I cleared the cache, the game loaded and runs fine now.
www.facebook.com/mardy423
Xbox Live GT- ChrisHaloBoss

User Info: Artemis_Fei

Artemis_Fei
5 years ago#26
So, found a second fix.

I just enabled Vsync in game. It worked perfectly. Capped my frames too.

This game is confusing.
CEnco De Mayo. [Proud Participant]
Epic. [1:23]

User Info: BurningSwor145

BurningSwor145
5 years ago#27
Weird, this game never gave me performance woes. It loves quad and tri-cores though.
"Mostly Harmless????"

User Info: romsnbombs

romsnbombs
5 years ago#28
Artemis_Fei posted...
So, found a second fix.

I just enabled Vsync in game. It worked perfectly. Capped my frames too.

This game is confusing.

Like I expalined before, as long as the frame rate is capped lower than the refresh rate, it won't increase loading times.
i5 2500k | Asus P8P67 M Pro | 4GB G.Skill | EVGA GTX 560 | 700W silent pro | CM Elite 340

User Info: lostlibrarian

lostlibrarian
5 years ago#29
I assume you tried putting it on a solid state drive?

User Info: romsnbombs

romsnbombs
5 years ago#30
lostlibrarian posted...
I assume you tried putting it on a solid state drive?

That doesn't make any difference, because the load time is synced to the frame rate.
i5 2500k | Asus P8P67 M Pro | 4GB G.Skill | EVGA GTX 560 | 700W silent pro | CM Elite 340
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Getting some ridiculous load times from GTA IV. Any help?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived