This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Budget Build CPU Help?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Budget Build CPU Help?

User Info: MeLikeyPie

MeLikeyPie
3 years ago#1
I'm building a budget rig for my younger brother, and I have only 500~600 dollars to spend. Now I know that intel is pretty much better than AMD at everything, however, if I go the intel route I can only afford the i3 dual core line. If I go AMD, I could get a quad/six core with slightly faster speeds.

Thoughts?
Here I come, King of Heroes! Do you have enough weapons at your disposal? - Emiya Shirou

User Info: Bowsaa

Bowsaa
3 years ago#2
Get an FX-6300 or, if it's the same price as a 6300, an FX-6350.
RENAMON!! *weeping* YOU HAVEN'T BENT ANYONE OVER THE SINK AND SHOVED A "CHECK THE STICKY* UP THEIR ASS IN MONTHS!! *curls into ball crying*- Cither3000

User Info: d209999

d209999
3 years ago#3
Bowsaa posted...
Get an FX-6300 or, if it's the same price as a 6300, an FX-6350.

I agree, but since the 6350 is a 125W processor, he may need to rethink the motherboard if he goes that route.
*under construction*

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
3 years ago#4
Depends on what he wants to play. If that list includes minecraft or mmos I'd stay far away from AMD processors personally.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

MeLikeyPie
3 years ago#5
That actually does include minecraft. That's like the first game he's going to play. '_'
Here I come, King of Heroes! Do you have enough weapons at your disposal? - Emiya Shirou

User Info: DerPancake

DerPancake
3 years ago#6
MeLikeyPie posted...
That actually does include minecraft. That's like the first game he's going to play. '_'

Teach him to play manly games like Call of Duty.
i7-4770k | EVGA GeForce GTX770 2GB | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM
Samsung 840 120GB SSD | CM Storm Enforcer | Corsair TX 750 Watt

MeLikeyPie
3 years ago#7
DerPancake posted...
MeLikeyPie posted...

Teach him to play manly games like Call of Duty.

I can't. I'm pretty horrendous at shooters, so I doubt I'd be able to teach him anything he doesn't already know. Lol.

User Info: maybecalls

maybecalls
3 years ago#8
Can you not maybe stretch your budget to an i5-4430 + a relatively inexpensive motherboard (because you won't need to overclock it, and can also just use the Intel cooler bundled with the CPU)?

MeLikeyPie
3 years ago#9
600 dollars is already stretching the budget. ._.
I mean, I'll try to find out a combo that works. But this is i3 vs AMD.

If I can get an i5 I'll obviously jump for that.

MeLikeyPie
3 years ago#10
Bump
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Budget Build CPU Help?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived