This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My sister needs a new laptop

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. My sister needs a new laptop

User Info: MachEvolution

MachEvolution
4 years ago#1
She has a budget of about $600 and she wants it mainly to play Minecraft on it, though it would be good if it could play other games reasonably as well.

I have some ideas of my own but I'd thought I'd make a topic here and see what other people can come up with. Right now I'm thinking something with a good AMD APU, but since Minecraft is heavily CPU dependent then there may be better options that would also handle other games reasonably well.

User Info: donbrifway

donbrifway
4 years ago#2
APU is probably the best she's going to get for $600. If she can come up with a few hundred more dollars, look in to getting a laptop with a video card.
Steam: donbrifway

User Info: MachEvolution

MachEvolution
4 years ago#3
Yeah that seems like the best option for the price. Seems like she could probably get something with an AMD A-10 APU, which as far as I can tell, should run minecraft perfectly fine and it should even handle most current games on at least medium settings at regular laptop resolutions(768p).

But when I was looking around, it was pretty confusing all the different APUs there are. Anything in particular to watch out for or should I just look into something with a newer A10 in it for her?

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
4 years ago#4
I have a phenom II and it bottlenecks the igp on that system at around 40 fps, even with a 32x pack on. I don't see a sub 2GHz APU doing any better.

I would just wait for a Haswell laptop in that range to be available, the HD4600 is 70-90% as fast depending on the game but the actual CPU will be tons faster.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. My sister needs a new laptop

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived