This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Planning to upgrade from 660ti to 770 tomorrow. Need advice

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Planning to upgrade from 660ti to 770 tomorrow. Need advice

User Info: TowerBooks3192

TowerBooks3192
3 years ago#1
Got scared when I tried to open up my PC and unplug the components inside and managed to put it back together again. Will finally be going to the PC shop tomorrow and I was wondering if its worth it to jump to 770 from 660ti? Planning to get that and probably a cheap SSD (those 100 something gig) but not much of a priority since its kind of a luxury. Will probably get some other stuff like a cheap mechanical keyboard or a decent mouse or something. The video card is my priority though and I hope its easy to just plug a new one in or something. Need some advice if its worth it and if it will handle 2 monitors or something (I got a 23 inch I think and I could probably add another one.)

My specs:

Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz 8mb

ASRock Z77 Pro 3 LGA 1155ATX Mobo

G.Skill 8GB Kit (2x4GB) DDR3 Ripjaws X C9 1600 MHZ

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 3.5" 1 TB 64mb

EVGA Geforce GTX660TI 915M/6008M 2GB/ 2x DVI/HDMI/Dp

XFX Core edition 550W 80 Plus Bronze power supply

Antec three hundred gaming case

No reason/goal in mind to upgrade since I just got it last December and probably I think I wanna expand my strategy library to include the total war series.
AC new leaf FC: 1547-5212-4948. Name: Miiguel Town name: Tower

User Info: aak57

aak57
3 years ago#2
Not worth the cost, not at all.
Are you ready?
http://i.imgur.com/ULj4q.jpg

TowerBooks3192
3 years ago#3
aak57 posted...
Not worth the cost, not at all.

Really? how so? So I should just invest in a case or an SSD then?I think the card costs like $530 from where I could purchase it.

aak57
3 years ago#4
Whereabouts do you live? If you're in the USA, that's a pretty terrible price. And it's not worth it because the difference in frame rate you'll notice is not worth the hundreds of dollars you'll lose. The 660 Ti is already a powerful card and can handle 1080p pretty well.
Are you ready?

TowerBooks3192
3 years ago#5
aak57 posted...
Whereabouts do you live? If you're in the USA, that's a pretty terrible price. And it's not worth it because the difference in frame rate you'll notice is not worth the hundreds of dollars you'll lose. The 660 Ti is already a powerful card and can handle 1080p pretty well.

That is australian price. So I should just keep my money and enjoy my machine as of the moment then? I was planning to either get a laptop for Uni or just upgrade my machine. I guess I could just buy a cool speaker, mechanical keyboard, a mouse and an SSD then or something. I kind of want to upgrade if its really a huge difference

User Info: Slayn

Slayn
3 years ago#6
It isn't a HUGE leap, but can you sell your old card? If you can sell the old one for a decent price, the upgrade would be cheap. I sold my GTX460 for around $100 and got a 660 for $200, not much of a price difference.
#1 LoL Poster NA: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/63627116

TowerBooks3192
3 years ago#7
Slayn posted...
It isn't a HUGE leap, but can you sell your old card? If you can sell the old one for a decent price, the upgrade would be cheap. I sold my GTX460 for around $100 and got a 660 for $200, not much of a price difference.

I may be able to or not. But its more no than yes though. Would be great if I could. Like I said I got $1300. I guess I could grab an SSD and hoping its just easy to install (I got all the wires tied neatly inside.). I was worried if I need a new power supply. I though I broke my PC when I tried to put it back together again and those pins where you connect the switch for the case are scary!

I have to make this count because mum is gonna kill me if I won't buy something from there since its a bit far from where we live and I don't have time wait for it in post.

aak57
3 years ago#8
Selling would help, but at the higher end there's more money to be lost for less gain than your situation. He'd probably lose at least $200 for an upgrade that would basically take him from high/ultra to ultra.

TC, I'd suggest just reading about how to overclock your video card, do that and call it a day. Also, I'd strongly suggest you actually spend some time researching the stuff you plan to buy.
Are you ready?

User Info: Slayn

Slayn
3 years ago#9
Usually jumping one generation isn't worth it. I always jump 2 generations for a noteworthy upgrade. 8600 to 260 to 460 to 660.
#1 LoL Poster NA: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/63627116

TowerBooks3192
3 years ago#10
aak57 posted...
Selling would help, but at the higher end there's more money to be lost for less gain than your situation. He'd probably lose at least $200 for an upgrade that would basically take him from high/ultra to ultra.

TC, I'd suggest just reading about how to overclock your video card, do that and call it a day. Also, I'd strongly suggest you actually spend some time researching the stuff you plan to buy.

Ok, fair enough. The thing is I don't have a clue about this. I just went to the shop last december and told them : Hey I got $1200, what PC could you build me and that is what they gave me. I was wondering if its worth getting an SSD now though? I am worried about overclocking and stuff because something bad might happen.

Lastly, is it easy to install an SSD?
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Planning to upgrade from 660ti to 770 tomorrow. Need advice

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived