This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Just games on SSD?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Just games on SSD?

User Info: tarnishedash

tarnishedash
3 years ago#1
If I only have games on my SSD, and use Windows on a 7200, am I seeing any performance increase from the SSD, or does the OS on the slower drive bottleneck? Always been curious. Have been too lazy to re-install, but if serious performance gains are to be had, sign me up.

User Info: Slayn

Slayn
3 years ago#2
Always put OS on a drive... the whiole computer will run faster in general. Games on SSD just make them load faster.
#1 LoL Poster NA: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/63627116

tarnishedash
3 years ago#3
Slayn posted...
Always put OS on a drive... the whiole computer will run faster in general. Games on SSD just make them load faster.

Yea, I know, but if the 7200 isn't slowing down my game load times, I can live with a 30 second boot time.

User Info: ThePCElitist

ThePCElitist
3 years ago#4
tarnishedash posted...
Slayn posted...

Yea, I know, but if the 7200 isn't slowing down my game load times, I can live with a 30 second boot time.

Until your OS reaches about the 1 year mark and begins slowing down. I used to do fresh OS installs twice a year when I used HDD's in order to prevent Windows Rot.
i5-2500k Hyper212+ @ 4.6Ghz, ASRock z77 extreme4, x2 Samsung 830 128GB SSD, 16 GB DDR3 RipJaws X, SLI GTX 680 Lightning, AX850, Antec 1200 v3

tarnishedash
3 years ago#5
Until your OS reaches about the 1 year mark and begins slowing down. I used to do fresh OS installs twice a year when I used HDD's in order to prevent Windows Rot.

Yea, I ran an sfc /scannow a few weeks ago, have some corruption at 99%. If I backup a registry and re-install, then import registry, have a guess at what % of stuff will work properly? Theoretically, it should all work, right? I have a fair amount of stuff installed on other drives, would take days to re-install it all.

User Info: UnderwaterAir

UnderwaterAir
3 years ago#6
I have four SSDs in my computer right now along with a 3TB data drive.
I don't even need the data drive if I didn't want it. >_>
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Just games on SSD?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived