This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

It's been 16 long years, but I FINALLY HAVE HIGH SPEED INTERNET

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. It's been 16 long years, but I FINALLY HAVE HIGH SPEED INTERNET

User Info: Shark_Laser

Shark_Laser
3 years ago#1
From 1997 to 2010, I had dialup.

In 2010, I switched to a (poor) mobile broadband device that gave me these results:
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2885278439 (144 ping, .55 down, .24 up)

As of today, I have a 4G Verizon Jetpack getting these results:
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2885474742 (82 ping, 5.84 down, .19 up)

I feel like I'm entering a new era of technology.
Look at yourself in the mirror, and tell me what a man is without pride. Tell me what a man is without fire in his eyes. Tell me who the f*** you are.

User Info: somebody336

somebody336
3 years ago#2
xD Congratz

User Info: Master_Bass

Master_Bass
3 years ago#3
I know your pain, TC. I had dial up since the mid '90s until the mid '00s. I hope you're enjoying the upgrade!
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.
(message deleted)

User Info: wizardmon

wizardmon
3 years ago#5
Nice boat!
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)

User Info: kelemvor

kelemvor
3 years ago#6
I lived out in the middle of nowhere when I was living with my parents, and I was a little late to the party too. I think I finally got DSL around 2000.

However, my dialup didn't stop me from playing counterstrike, Half-life 1 Deathmatch, Team Fortress, and Unreal. Back then, a lot of people had dial-up and you just learned how to play with 100-130ms ping.
Kelemvor Lyonsbane

User Info: JonWood007

JonWood007
3 years ago#7
I had dial up until 2007, and was basically on ~768k until 3 months ago. Now I'm on a 7 mbps / 768 kbps plan and am happy with it. I know some of you guys got like 50 mbps and crap, but meh, Im happy. I can actually download games in a timely manner now. And it's unlimited so that's a huge plus.
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768

User Info: Darkneo20

Darkneo20
3 years ago#8
..........13years on dialup sheesh

why havent u ever switched to dsl or cable that 4g box probably has a 5gig limit on it
Amd Phenom II X4 955 3.2ghz ASUS EAH DIRECTCU 5850 1gig Asus Crosshair Formula 3 790FX WD Caviar 1TB HDD Coolermaster HAF 932 XFX Modular 750watt PSU

Shark_Laser
3 years ago#9
My ping seems to range from 50-90. Will I have any issues playing online? On my old device (150-200 ping), it was difficult.
Look at yourself in the mirror, and tell me what a man is without pride. Tell me what a man is without fire in his eyes. Tell me who the f*** you are.

Shark_Laser
3 years ago#10
Darkneo20 posted...
..........13years on dialup sheesh

why havent u ever switched to dsl or cable that 4g box probably has a 5gig limit on it

Yep, it has a 5Gb limit. It also has a 10 device connection limit. I've learned to work around it, though. I do all of my heavy downloading at work and then transfer the files/games to my home PC. Occasionally I'll use 6 or 7Gb, but it's only $10 extra for each Gb over. Unfortunately, DSL/cable isn't available where I live.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. It's been 16 long years, but I FINALLY HAVE HIGH SPEED INTERNET

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived