This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

First Time Build Help v3

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. First Time Build Help v3

User Info: jakisthe

jakisthe
3 years ago#1
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1qEFd

A bit more refinement this time, I think I'm finally getting ready to pull the trigger. Already did with the CPU and RAM, so that's kinda a foregone conclusion, but a few questions remain:

-How worth it is that 780 GPU compared to, say, a 770? Looking to max everything for the next ~5 years or so (or closest I can get, anyway)
-How's the case? I've heard tell of some cases being absolutely fantastic (namely, the Level 10 GT Case) but they seem quite expensive...although they DO have integrated fans...
-That MoBo: it'll work with the i5-3570k, right? I mean, PCPP isn't showing any issues, but considering it's the core of the operation, don't wanna mess it up.
-Is 2ms response time on the monitor too slow? I've heard that, for competitive games, I'd want something sub 1ms.
-Is there any particular reason why the 840 120Gb SSD is ~40% cheaper than a 840 128Gb SSD?
-Is 620 watts too big of a power supply considering PCPP says this is only around 440 watts? As in, if I wanted to upgrade down the road, would I likely need a lot more power, or is the wattage mostly for parts which "age" slower (monitor, fans, keyboard, etc).
-Why is there yogurt in this cap?!
-It used to be milk, but, well, time makes fools of us all. (cookie for reference)::160 cookies given thus far::

User Info: DerPancake

DerPancake
3 years ago#2
You don't need thermal paste, the Noctua comes with its own thermal paste you can apply.
i7-4770k | EVGA GeForce GTX770 2GB | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM
Samsung 840 120GB SSD | CM Storm Enforcer | Corsair TX 750 Watt

User Info: gsf4lyfe

gsf4lyfe
3 years ago#3
No single GPU will max everything for the next five years. I think you're better off buying a single 770 now (which is a very good card) and buying a second one later if you start to find it lacking.
FX-6300 @ 4.0ghz | GTX 760 | 970 extreme3 | 8GB DDR3 1600
SteamID: gsf4lyfe

User Info: qeoijlijw

qeoijlijw
3 years ago#4
go back to ngg

jakisthe
3 years ago#5
Yeah, I mean, there's obviously no way of completely future proofing for the next 5 years, but my thinking was that by spending an extra ~200 now, the 780 would last me a good deal longer than a 770...whereas if I bought the 770 now, I'd wind up paying double (so 200 more than the 780 by itself) all the sooner.

Still, it's certainly a good point, so thanks. Anyone have any insight on my other questions?
-It used to be milk, but, well, time makes fools of us all. (cookie for reference)::160 cookies given thus far::

User Info: Snuckie7

Snuckie7
3 years ago#6
Here's a better build for a little more, swapped some things here and there.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1qQPe
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W

User Info: sknmak

sknmak
3 years ago#7
What in the world is this??? TC what is the absolute max you are willing to spend on this build. I can help you out with a much better build. Also if you are spending close to $2000.00 you might as well get better parts and do it right the first time. Also Haswell would probably be the best way for you to go at this point. I can make a few modifications to your build if you tell me the max you are willing to spend.
NEW Video Game Remakes Uploaded
http://www.youtube.com/user/sknocturnal

jakisthe
3 years ago#8
Absolute max is 2k. As I said though, the CPU and RAM is already gotten.

User Info: sknmak

sknmak
3 years ago#9
jakisthe posted...
Absolute max is 2k. As I said though, the CPU and RAM is already gotten.

Ok well I was going to recommend this for your build, but you've already got the CPU and the RAM, but you still might be able to choose some other parts. The parts I recommended are in bold text. Better CPU, good cooler, MB, better GPU for the price and a good 750W PSU. Just pick parts that you want. I based the build around the i7-4770K though. I left a little breathing room if you wanted more watts from the PSU for future references.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1qRNn
Total: $1904.78

Intel Core i7-4770K
Antec KUHLER H2O 920
Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX

Samsung 840 Series 120GB SSD
Seagate Barracuda 2TB
PowerColor Radeon HD 7990 6GB 384-bit x2 - [Free 8 games w/ purchase]
NZXT Phantom
XFX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified
Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer
Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit)
Samsung S23A700D 120Hz 23.0" Monitor
Lite-On SK-1788/BS Wired Standard Keyboard
NEW Video Game Remakes Uploaded
http://www.youtube.com/user/sknocturnal

jakisthe
3 years ago#10
That mobo, the GA-Z87X-D3H, will that work with a i5-3570? And if it will, is it better than the P8Z77-V one I had in my initial build?
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. First Time Build Help v3

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived