This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any real benefit upgrading from 8gb DDR3 to 16gb DDR3?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Any real benefit upgrading from 8gb DDR3 to 16gb DDR3?

User Info: Spidey555

Spidey555
4 years ago#1
Wasn't sure if it was worth it or not, or even if anything actually utilizes that much for it to be worth it?
360 GT: FiendishFiend
Steam: Spidey555

User Info: romsnbombs

romsnbombs
4 years ago#2
No, you're fine with 8GB. For games anyway, I don't know about 64 bit apps like movie and photo editing.
2600k | P8P67 M Pro | 8GB | GTX 780 | 700W silent pro

User Info: samurai1900

samurai1900
4 years ago#3
If you do heavy photoshopping, rendering and all that, then yes.

It is nice for a RAM disk too.
For Shuppet fans and lovers - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ShuppetForLife
http://steamcommunity.com/id/SuperSamurai190//

User Info: Spidey555

Spidey555
4 years ago#4
Nah just mostly game playing and that is it.
360 GT: FiendishFiend
Steam: Spidey555

User Info: Dark_Spiret

Dark_Spiret
4 years ago#5
as said, for gaming, no. 8gb is more than enough atleast right now. for everything outside of that it can come in handy.
Currently playing: Divinity: Dragon Commander - Spelunky - The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing

User Info: ThePCElitist

ThePCElitist
4 years ago#6
Some MMORPG's eat up ram but that's really it for gaming. One I play makes my ram usage peak around 8 GB's
i5-2500k Hyper212+ @ 4.6Ghz, ASRock z77 extreme4, x2 Samsung 830 128GB SSD, 16 GB DDR3 RipJaws X, SLI GTX 680 Lightning, AX850, Antec 1200 v3

User Info: mrCube

mrCube
4 years ago#7
I can have DayZ, Chivalry, and a Minecraft server running on Linux on a virtual machine all going at the same time and still not use 8GB of RAM. 8 gigs is fine for most people.
---

User Info: Incendia_Intus

Incendia_Intus
4 years ago#8
The only game I've had problems with on 8GB of RAM is a very heavily modded Skyrim.
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 | i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz| Phantek PH-TC14PE| EVGA GTX 580 | G.SKILL Sniper 8GB | OCZ Vertex 2 40GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | HAF 912 | HX750 750W

User Info: HydroCannabinol

HydroCannabinol
4 years ago#9
mrCube posted...
I can have DayZ, Chivalry, and a Minecraft server running on Linux on a virtual machine all going at the same time and still not use 8GB of RAM. 8 gigs is fine for most people.

This entirely depends on how much RAM you allocate for your virtual machine haha... FAIL.

I can have 0 programs running on my VM and it will use 16 gigs of RAM. What the deuce.
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil

User Info: romsnbombs

romsnbombs
4 years ago#10
Incendia_Intus posted...
The only game I've had problems with on 8GB of RAM is a very heavily modded Skyrim.

Yeah right. Show me the memory usage graph in task manager or process explorer?
2600k | P8P67 M Pro | 8GB | GTX 780 | 700W silent pro
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Any real benefit upgrading from 8gb DDR3 to 16gb DDR3?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived