This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking to turn an old desktop into a pure web browser.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Looking to turn an old desktop into a pure web browser.

User Info: GameFaux

GameFaux
3 years ago#1
I've got an old desktop sitting in my room that used to be our family computer. It's from 2005, so the specs are ancient by today's standards, but I wiped it clean after a few years of clogging it full of crap and put a fresh copy of XP that I had lying around on it a few months back. It serves as a backup in case I forget to bring my laptop to the house or don't have it with me for whatever reason. About the only thing I ever do on it is browse the web.

I'm wondering if there's some way I can make this as efficient as possible for pretty much strictly web browsing. I thought about putting some kind of Linux distro on it, but I'm not sure what to use. I basically want the OS to use as little resources as possible. The fresh copy of XP I put on does a pretty good job of that, but I'm wondering if I can do better than that. I was hoping there was some kind of OS like Google's OS that I could put on here. Something that would boot fairly quickly and basically strip out everything that isn't a web browser.

Also, as far as web browsers, what's the best to use nowadays for older computers? I've got Chrome on this desktop currently, and it does a good job, but it's very memory heavy and this box only has 768MB of RAM in it. Something slim and speedy would be great. The only thing I would want extra is an ad blocker. I'm not sure how Firefox is doing now or if that would be a good choice, or if I should go with something slimmer. Any kind of advice on any of this would really be appreciated.

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
3 years ago#2
You can try and find the chromebook OS, I think it's called chromium.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

User Info: MC RaZaR

MC RaZaR
3 years ago#3
Give Lubuntu or Crunchbang a try. Use Firefox or Chromium.
Oh, I don't want to walk that far. Anything that takes more than 12 steps isn't worth doing! Eh? 12? Get it? Steps! Hehehe.- Homer J. Simpson

User Info: WyzeGye

WyzeGye
3 years ago#4
Damn small linux and Lynx browser
http://i.imgur.com/2dhh8tn.gif | http://i.imgur.com/p5EXSiq.jpg
http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/2/2/7/201227_v1.gif
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Looking to turn an old desktop into a pure web browser.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived