This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Have any of you ever worked for or used Geek Squad?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Have any of you ever worked for or used Geek Squad?

User Info: roxas321

roxas321
3 years ago#1
Long story short, I am starting college on the 26th; and I'm really looking for a nice job. I landed an interview at Best Buy for a Geek Squad Consultation Agent. My question is, do I NEED to be a computer genius to get the job?

A little background: I've built my own computer, I troubleshoot it myself with a little help from Google, and I can usually tell why computer isn't working properly.
Don't look at my button!

User Info: gwwak

gwwak
3 years ago#2
You don't need to be a genius. Most tech support people are idiots anyways.
Hardcore - We'll probably be modded for this...

User Info: Mogu_Mogu

Mogu_Mogu
3 years ago#3
I've had friends that used Geek Squad. :(
In the chronicles of my life
there is a legend in which I change 'history' into 'herstory'.

User Info: mrCube

mrCube
3 years ago#4
I worked there for about 6 months a few years ago. Honestly you don't really need to know anything to work there. They will train you a lot and you will learn a lot as you go. But keep in mind that as a consultation agent you'll be customer-facing and not actually do much work on computers other than taking and processing them.

You'll do fine with the experience you already have.
---

User Info: Golden_Gonads

Golden_Gonads
3 years ago#5
If its anything like a number of tech supports I've heard of, you'll be performing to script, making things sound complicated and mainly trying to convince people to unnecessarily buy new hardware.

User Info: my_name_is_Ed

my_name_is_Ed
3 years ago#6
just don't spread nudes you find on peoples computers onto the internet, and you're good
http://i.imgur.com/cSf50Qs.png

User Info: roxas321

roxas321
3 years ago#7
But without spreading nudes.... what will my hobby be?

Also, that's great! The only retail job I've had so far has been at Bed Bath and Hell. It involved a lot of customer service, so I'm hoping it will be similar.
Don't look at my button!

User Info: Dragonspawn1319

Dragonspawn1319
3 years ago#8
My brother used to work as a geek squad. From what he used to say the majority of stuff they deal with are surprisingly simple issues or warranties.

User Info: wildog2006

wildog2006
3 years ago#9
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EJw6oGSft0

100% relevant, I used to be a CA for 2 years, worst job I've ever had. If you don't get promoted within 6 months, you'll never get one. Best advice, be anti-social, that way you'll get put in the back faster, then you only have to deal with idiots on the phone.

Again, WORST. JOB. EVER. I would rather work in fast food than go back. If you absolutely have to, don't work in geek squad. Work in a different department where you get bonuses, I.E. you work on commission. Even though they say they don't work on commission, they do, it's just not called that.
i7-3770k ~ EVGA GTX670 4GB ~ Intel DZ77GAL-70k ~ 8GB Corsair Vengeance ~ 180GB SSD + 1TB HDD ~ Corsair 850W PSU ~ Silverstone Redline
PSN/360/Steam ~ irysh9
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Have any of you ever worked for or used Geek Squad?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived