This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Don't know if this is the right board, but my laptop won't start up! URGENT

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Don't know if this is the right board, but my laptop won't start up! URGENT

User Info: keybladesrus

keybladesrus
3 years ago#1
As the title says, my laptop won't start up! I don't know the exact model, but it's a Compaq Presario something 62.

I put it in sleep mode for a short while, but when I went to use it again, it was off. I tried to turn it back on, but it won't go past the screen where it shows the Compaq logo and says "Press the ESC key for Startup Menu". I tried pressing esc, but it won't do anything. All I can do is turn it back off, but it has the same problem when I turn it back on.

Does anyone know what is going on and, most importantly, how to fix it?
"My favorite color of poop is seven." - Seanbaby, cracked.com
The Official Nox of the Kingdom Hearts 3 Board

User Info: Slayn

Slayn
3 years ago#2
Time for a new laptop.
#1 LoL Poster NA: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/63627116

keybladesrus
3 years ago#3
Slayn posted...
Time for a new laptop.

ARE YOU SERIOUS?! I have too many imporant files on this one! Is there ANYTHING I can do?

User Info: fallenswords

fallenswords
3 years ago#4
keybladesrus posted...
Slayn posted...
Time for a new laptop.

ARE YOU SERIOUS?! I have too many imporant files on this one! Is there ANYTHING I can do?

buy a new laptop and transfer the files.
A Mod/Admin replied on 8/28/2011 10:09:48 AM: http://bit.ly/jJ2ZNS
Katawa Shoujo changed my life. http://katawa-shoujo.com/

User Info: ThePCElitist

ThePCElitist
3 years ago#5
Worst case scenario use an Ubuntu boot drive from a USB thumb drive and boot into your PC and see if you can't access your HDD data to back it up.
i5-2500k Hyper212+ @ 4.6Ghz, ASRock z77 extreme4, x2 Samsung 830 128GB SSD, 16 GB DDR3 RipJaws X, SLI GTX 680 Lightning, AX850, Antec 1200 v3

User Info: cuteboi100

cuteboi100
3 years ago#6
Sounds like the laptop ran out of power at a critical time when Windows was saving files and it is now corrupted. I believe you can still save the files if you connect the HDD to another laptop as a slave HDD.
Xbox Live GT:ScaryPillow , iHaruyuki TERA:
LoL : ScaryPillow Maplestory: MLGLordly 16x I/L Arch Mage

cuteboi100
3 years ago#7
This is why it is important to have a backup copy of all of your files. Some even go as far as to have a backup for you backup. The safest place for your files is probably on a storage website where it is tended to by professionals 24/7. Files can be destroyed by spilling coffee if it is in the care of the common user.

keybladesrus
3 years ago#8
ThePCElitist posted...
Worst case scenario use an Ubuntu boot drive from a USB thumb drive and boot into your PC and see if you can't access your HDD data to back it up.

What is an Ubuntu boot drive, and where can I get one?

cuteboi100
3 years ago#9
keybladesrus posted...
ThePCElitist posted...

Ubuntu is an free operating system and you can put it on a USB drive to run. That makes it so you can access your original HDD as a slave drive.

keybladesrus
3 years ago#10
cuteboi100 posted...
keybladesrus posted...
ThePCElitist posted...

Ubuntu is an free operating system and you can put it on a USB drive to run. That makes it so you can access your original HDD as a slave drive.

So I can still salvage my files at least?
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Don't know if this is the right board, but my laptop won't start up! URGENT

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived