This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Elder Scrolls online or FF14, which are you getting?

  • Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Elder Scrolls online or FF14, which are you getting?

User Info: SinisterSlay

4 years ago#31
kyler45 posted...
I'm getting Elder Scrolls online when it undoubtedly goes Free to Play in a year.

They even said so themselves.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: nickizgr8

4 years ago#32
Spidey555 posted...
Surprised no one talks about Neverwinter, or is that not even on the radar anymore?

Because Neverwinter is poop.

I played the beta and the Pay to Win was strong with that game. For endgame stuff you get these runes to make items which are then made into a high tier item.

So you farm for ages for these runes. When you get enough of them you can attempt to turn them into this item. I say attempt because normally it's a 10% chance you will actually get the item. The other 90% of the time it will fail and you get nothing. However you can pay some money and chance is upped to like 50% I think.

So after you have made enough items with those runes you can then create a high tier item. You get to pick what kind of item it is. Shield, Sword, Helmet etc. But you don't get to pick what stats it might have so after all this work you may be given a helm for a spellcaster when your a pure melee based character. Also turning the items into a high tier item also has a 90% fail rate unless you pay then it also gets lowered to 50%.

Anyway going back to the topic question. I may pick up FFXIV depending on how the game is received when it is released and if I really want to play it. I probably wont get ES:O because I didn't like the alpha or beta one bit.

User Info: Garquill

4 years ago#33
Everquest Next
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein

User Info: Xanity

4 years ago#34
Whichever goes F2P first.

User Info: Cool_Dude667

4 years ago#35
Dear god neither.
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi

User Info: Irsaan

4 years ago#36
xAniTy posted...
Whichever goes F2P first.

Pretty much this. And then the other one, but neither for long.

User Info: Aceallways

4 years ago#37
ThePonyCollie posted...
Neither. I refuse to support the P2P trend.

User Info: fuzzyman

4 years ago#38
IDK I am very burnt on the ARR formula right now

I will wait and see how TESonline releases but I do have an FFXIV account and I'm sure I will try it again in time

User Info: Moose_Of_Woe

4 years ago#39
NotQuiteAFreak posted...
Immortal_Moo posted...

Has nothing to do with P2P. I'll gladly pay a monthly sub for a GOOD game, however both are shallow/mediocre like the 99/100 games of drivel that get shoveled out these days.

User Info: jessevale

4 years ago#40
Fade2black001 posted...
SkylineQS posted...
Smakkyoface posted...
ESO. FF14 had its chance, now the engine is old and the gfx look like crap. not to mention same old ffxi gameplay.

This guy's comment makes my ball hurts..... Like seriously I doubt he even played ff14

IKR. He must of played the game on the lowest possible settings and he is saying the game looks like crap. LMAO. This kid sure is funny.

XIV does look like crap. The graphical effects remind me of the start of this gen around 2007/08 or so when heavy bloom was in vogue and everything was shiny. Besides, perfect, fresh faced anime characters everywhere isn't appealing after so many games with it. And I LOVE anime. But I am a fan of RPGs for fantasy fiction.

I will play it for my free month and decide from there. I don't think I'll stick with it, and I definitely don't think it will succeed. Not because of any fault of its own, besides the initial terrible reception, but because MMOs as a genre have been dead since the term MMO came in to popular use.

Any other genre refers to a broad category of games. MMO on the other hand has come to describe one very, very specific type of game. Thankfully they're mostly restricted to no name Korean developers, but in this case it just makes XIV's ambitions worse. SE clearly thought they could throw together a game just like those no name developers who release half a dozen MMOs a year and make as much money as XI, which was their greatest financial success ever, reportedly.

There is so much more potential in MMOs, and yet we have clones as far as the eye can see. Every game tries to be different but it only goes as far as superficially, where both the core and the way we interface with the game are identical. The most laughable part of this is that XIV's being similar to WoW was the INTENTION from the start. Wada was even quoted as saying that when he saw XIV initially, after asking to make a game like WoW, he knew it would fail because it was not WoW enough.

Does that sound like a game developed with any kind of heartfelt, profound intention? No. Does every game need to have that sort of development? Of course not; games are just for fun in many cases. But when the entire genre's biggest problem is its dead horse syndrome, you have to pull off something at least a tad profound. And they actually set out to do the exact opposite. Incredible.

I suppose if I am going to try any other MMO, it might as well be the successor to my most beloved game that I played since 2004. I don't feel like SE deserves my money even so, but I'll give it a shot. I know many who are playing and others who are interested, and I have a gaming PC that would appreciate a little more use. So I will give it the benefit of the doubt. But even if it was the most interesting & unique MMO experience since WoW's success, it will still very likely fail. No game, no matter how good can withstand that kind of initial bad press, let alone in an MMO format.

Then again, the fact so many are developed and released must mean the market research says they're profitable. Hopefully the number of subscribers required for a successful, frequently updates, engrossing experience is a lot less than I, and more importantly, Square Enix believed. Judging by Tomb Raider they probably estimate 3 million constant subscribers. XI had only 500,000 at its peak. If it does half as good as that, I'll consider it a success and revoke my negative comments.

But it'll still go free to play, micro transaction business model in a matter of months. Mark my words.

Same deal for ESO. A charmless TES experience + MMO. TES needs normal multiplayer, not MMO.
Eagerly awaiting FFXIV's inevitable failure. Even a fantastic game cannot withstand initial bad press & the long-dead MMO format. Sad but true.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Elder Scrolls online or FF14, which are you getting?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

  • Topic Archived