This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

7970 now, or wait for HD 9xxx?

  • Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. 7970 now, or wait for HD 9xxx?

User Info: Pyrotechnixxx

4 years ago#1
I currently have a 1GB HD 7850, and I have been less than impressed with its performance. The low VRAM makes modded Skyrim and Far Cry 3 stutter like a *****. I have some funds to upgrade, and I'm wondering if I should pull the trigger on one of those tempting $300 7970s or wait for the next series?
Fear is a leash.

User Info: coolpal23

4 years ago#2
Hm, Haven't tried Skyrim, But Far Cry barely stutters though.
|Asus Z77|Two 1Gb 7850 HIS XFire| 1866 8Gb G.skill| i5 3570K 3.4Ghz
Steam: Lyokofanatic[G77F] "Fact and fiction, where do you draw the line?"

User Info: Auron_59261

4 years ago#3
Wait until 9xxx drops either way. Then, you'll have the choice of getting the updated GPU, or the 7970 for significantly less.

I play a lot of Skyrim w/ heavy mods @ 1440p. and it handles it very well. Same goes for FC3.
i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz [] HIS IceQ X^2 7970 |1200|1600|3GB| [] 16GB Ripjaws Z 1866 [] ASRock Z77 Extreme4 [] 250GB Samsung 840 [] 2TB Barracuda [] CX 600 PSU [] H80i

User Info: WyzeGye

4 years ago#4
Yeah, i could justify maybe upgrading from a 7790 or 7770, but not a 7850 when 9xxx is just around the corner. |
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. 7970 now, or wait for HD 9xxx?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

  • Topic Archived