This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is a Kindle Fire a good tablet for web-browsing/email/casual stuff like that?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is a Kindle Fire a good tablet for web-browsing/email/casual stuff like that?

User Info: Mwulf

Mwulf
4 years ago#1
I have a paperwhite and I love it, but don't really know anything about the Fires. And while I realize this is kind of off topic, tablets are technically personal computers, so please excuse me just this once.

Anyway, my mother's birthday is coming up and she's wanted a tablet for a long time. I'd like to give her one, but I can't afford an iPad. I just got an email from Amazon advertising a new sale ($70 off Kindle Fires) and that seems like a really good deal. Would a Fire work well for my mother? She'd mostly just use it for web-browsing, email, and casual apps like weather I imagine. And, of course, eBooks and music.

And if you guys know of any other good tablets in that price range that might be a decent alternative (no more than $200 USD) I'd appreciate any input.
"...Blame this on the misfortune of your birth."
-Char Aznable

User Info: OmegaReaper21

OmegaReaper21
4 years ago#2
Sure it is, I would recommend rooting it to make it a standard android device though (which I know really doesn't sound like something you would want to do).

I believe the Google Nexus 7 are around $200 and I have heard nothing but good things from it.

Mwulf
4 years ago#3
Hm... Nexus 7 is $230, that's a bit much for me. She has a prime account, so she'd get all those benefits with the Fire--video streaming, cloud saving, etc. So I guess I'll go with that.

What are the benefits/risks of making a Fire into an Android device? Would I still be able to buy stuff from Amazon or is it like CFW on a PSP? Would it void the warranty or something like that?
-Char Aznable

User Info: sonicteam2k1

sonicteam2k1
4 years ago#4
damn the Nexus 7 went up in price. It was $199.99 when I bought them for my wife and sister
See The Game Collection
http://www.gamespot.com/users/nights_team2k7/games_table?mode=own

User Info: reincarnator07

reincarnator07
4 years ago#5
Try and find the old Nexus 7.
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero

User Info: r0ge00

r0ge00
4 years ago#6
sonicteam2k1 posted...
damn the Nexus 7 went up in price. It was $199.99 when I bought them for my wife and sister

The $230 price is for the 2013 Nexus 7. It's pretty fair, considering the hardware inside.

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
4 years ago#7
As long as she never needs to print anything it should be perfectly fine, or if she has a machine to print with already obviously.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

Mwulf
4 years ago#8
You can't print like an email or anything from a Fire HD?
-Char Aznable

User Info: HighOnPhazon

HighOnPhazon
4 years ago#9
Fire HD is too restrictive, It's basically an Amazon device and nothing more. You can browse but it's on a stock browser that frankly sucks.

Get any android tablet. i recommend a Samsung Note or Nexus 7. I have a Samsung Note 8 and it's incredible.
GT/Steam: AncientToaster
i5 3750K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 2GB / Corsair TX650

User Info: Sienrurouni

Sienrurouni
4 years ago#10
I love my fire and wouldcertainly recommend it.
"You may not believe this, but I was once a remarkable man,"
-Denny Crane
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is a Kindle Fire a good tablet for web-browsing/email/casual stuff like that?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived