This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Windows 8 Basic and Pro?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Windows 8 Basic and Pro?

User Info: Nhatters1314

Nhatters1314
4 years ago#1
Bought a new laptop which came with what I'm assuming is the basic version of Windows 8. My school offers an upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for free. Are there any benefits of upgrading that I might see as a student? Or should I save it for another device?
The End

User Info: Araphos

Araphos
4 years ago#2
why not use it for your laptop? what other devise would you use it for?

User Info: fatali

fatali
4 years ago#3
The features win 8 pro has are bitlocker, remote desktop connection and domain network connectivity. Pretty much useless for most users.
Mystery is the source of all true science.

Nhatters1314
4 years ago#4
I have an older laptop and desktop that are on Windows 7.

Is that really all I'm missing?
The End

User Info: GreenMage7

GreenMage7
4 years ago#5
Nhatters1314 posted...
I have an older laptop and desktop that are on Windows 7.

Is that really all I'm missing?

Yes. Windows 8 Pro is really for business class. The only reason I have pro instead of the regular one is because the move from Windows 7 was only $15 and they gave you Pro with it.

If you are talking about the differences between Windows 7 and 8 in general, there are more differences than that but it would be pointless to list them if that wasn't what you were asking. Those are the exact differences between 8 and 8 Pro though.

User Info: LaMichael_James

LaMichael_James
4 years ago#6
if you dont care for the administrative features in pro that are not in the standard version, don't bother with upgrading

is it through dreamspark? I think the dreamspark version works like a retail version so you can put it on a fresh machine if you're building one
GOAT

User Info: Golden Maven

Golden Maven
4 years ago#7
All these questions are answered on Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8_editions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_8

Nhatters1314
4 years ago#8
No, it's just something that's offered through the school as part of my tuition. Thanks, guys. It's exactly what I needed to know.
The End
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Windows 8 Basic and Pro?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived