The next GameFAQs contest is here! Sign in and enter a Best Year in Gaming bracket for a chance at a $1000 grand prize!

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Conisdering building a new PC, requesting input

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Conisdering building a new PC, requesting input

User Info: m0986-8

m0986-8
3 years ago#1
As you can see from my sig, my pc is a bit dated. It currently runs all games on "decent" settings, but with the next gen soon upon us, I feel it will be running everything on low a year from now. Anyways I am considering going out on about a $2000 build and was wanting to know how amd stacks now a days? I picked them for my build because they ran cooler than intel and nvidia at the time. Also when I helped my roommate build his nvidia/intel build, I noticed that it can be quite the space heater when gaming. Because of this, I was wondering if water cooling would stop a computer from heating up a room. Also when do you think should be the time for me to actually build a new PC? I have been out of the loop due to college and work so I don't know what new tech is on the horizon in terms of processors, gpus, ram, etc.
Black 2 FC: 1593-5449-4573 (I am well aware the 3DS is region locked)
AMD Athlon II Quad Core 3.0GHZ | HD 5770 | 4GB RAM

User Info: Snuckie7

Snuckie7
3 years ago#2
Water cooling would heat up your room more if anything. For the processor, you probably want Intel for high end; video card, it's a tossup between AMD and Nvidia depending if you want to crossfire or not.
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W

m0986-8
3 years ago#3
I want to max power without heating the room too much. Of course if that isnt possible then I will bite the bullet and sweat while gaming. If water cooling heats up the room more then that is out. So in your opinion, why an intel processor?

User Info: Dragnfyr

Dragnfyr
3 years ago#4
Intel CPUs provide better performance for gaming and use less power.
Also AMD hasn't run cooler than Intel since the Pentium 4/Athlon X2 days.
MacBook Pro with Retina Display | 15.4" 2880x1800 | Core i7-3615QM @ 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | GT 650M 1GB GDDR5 | 256GB SSD | OSX 10.8.4 | Windows 8 Pro

m0986-8
3 years ago#5
So I got the last Amd that runs cool. Usually 2 graphics cards run hotter than 1 outputting the same power right?
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Conisdering building a new PC, requesting input

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived