This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Steam won't run

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Steam won't run

User Info: Nineteen99

Nineteen99
4 years ago#1
So I was using Steam earlier today, and it was working just fine. However, after discovering that one of my UPlay games wouldn't start (which I also played earlier today), I restarted my computer. That's when the Steam trouble started.

The first problem I got was a Bootstrapper error. Now it's giving me an error saying "Steam needs to be online to update." I've tried deleting items from my Steam directory, but I can't. I've tried setting the Steam folder as non-Read Only, but I can't. I also found a utility to add a registry to add a Take Ownership option to the right-click menu, but I can't get it to download.

In addition, the "You Have Installed Adblock" page kept popping up in Chrome, so I removed it to reinstall it. However, Adblock won't install.

I've been fighting this for two hours, and I'm really getting frustrated. I'm using Windows 8.
"Words cannot describe how screwed I am..."-Phoenix Wright
Currently Playing: Bastion, Torchlight 2

User Info: JonWood007

JonWood007
4 years ago#2
Try a system restore?
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768

User Info: Nineteen99

Nineteen99
4 years ago#3
Now this is funny. I go to the Control Panel Programs and Features, right click on Steam, and select Uninstall.

Then...

ERRORS!

I CAN'T UNINSTALL STEAM!
"Words cannot describe how screwed I am..."-Phoenix Wright
Currently Playing: Bastion, Torchlight 2

User Info: Ch3wy

Ch3wy
4 years ago#4
One does not simply uninstall Steam..
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.

User Info: JonWood007

JonWood007
4 years ago#5
Sounds like something got screwed up somewhere....again, try system restore. It might undo whatever screwed you up.
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Steam won't run

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived