This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ultrabook for school/light gaming ~ $1k ??

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Ultrabook for school/light gaming ~ $1k ??

User Info: Auron_59261

Auron_59261
3 years ago#1
What do you guys think? I was to stick with an ultrabook since this guy'll be hauled around campus/town all day. Here's what I'm eyeing at the moment:

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np2740-clevo-w740su-p-6201.html

Only a lb heavier than a Macbook Air and .1" or so thicker, but has a 1080p display and Intel's Iris 5200.
i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz [] HIS IceQ X^2 7970 |1200|1600|3GB| [] 16GB Ripjaws Z 1866 [] ASRock Z77 Extreme4 [] 250GB Samsung 840 [] 2TB Barracuda [] CX 600 PSU [] H80i

User Info: anthrax360x

anthrax360x
3 years ago#2
I don't know if it is just me, but I always wonder why people would pay that much for a laptop without a graphics card... Maybe it is just me.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Auron_59261
3 years ago#3
anthrax360x posted...
I don't know if it is just me, but I always wonder why people would pay that much for a laptop without a graphics card... Maybe it is just me.

Some people care about the convenience that an ultrabook sized laptop can provide. Make sense now?
i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz [] HIS IceQ X^2 7970 |1200|1600|3GB| [] 16GB Ripjaws Z 1866 [] ASRock Z77 Extreme4 [] 250GB Samsung 840 [] 2TB Barracuda [] CX 600 PSU [] H80i

anthrax360x
3 years ago#4
Auron_59261 posted...
anthrax360x posted...

Some people care about the convenience that an ultrabook sized laptop can provide. Make sense now?

I understand that, but why $1000? Why not a couple hundred bucks cheaper if "light gaming" (not in quotes to offend, just the definition of that varies) is all you want it for? Especially since you have a gaming rig already

Auron_59261
3 years ago#5
anthrax360x posted...
Auron_59261 posted...
anthrax360x posted...

I understand that, but why $1000? Why not a couple hundred bucks cheaper if "light gaming" (not in quotes to offend, just the definition of that varies) is all you want it for? Especially since you have a gaming rig already

My scholarship allows up to 1400 for a laptop. Whatever I don't use get's wasted.

Last year I picked up a Lenovo u310 for less than $300 and spoiled myself on ultrabooks and just can't see myself using anything bulkier after that.

User Info: DerPancake

DerPancake
3 years ago#6
Auron_59261 posted...
anthrax360x posted...
Auron_59261 posted...
anthrax360x posted...

My scholarship allows up to 1400 for a laptop. Whatever I don't use get's wasted.

Can you combine your scholarship with your own money to get a better laptop?
i7-4770k | EVGA GeForce GTX770 2GB | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM
Samsung 840 120GB SSD | CM Storm Enforcer | Corsair TX 750 Watt

anthrax360x
3 years ago#7
Auron_59261 posted...
anthrax360x posted...
Auron_59261 posted...
anthrax360x posted...

Ah, that's pretty cool. At first I thought that I was getting about $1000 for a laptop, but then realized what they meant was that $1000 was factored into the loans I should take out to buy one... that was a disappointing day, although I still ended up getting a laptop I'm 100% satisfied with (will be 150% satisfied if Lenovo gets around to releasing a 750m ultrabay...)

User Info: MaKhaos

MaKhaos
3 years ago#8
I saw this on Anandtech.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7238/acer-v7482pg9884-review-everything-you-need

Looks good since no Haswell and GPU refreshes on Apple's side yet. The Sager one does have Iris Pro, I guess.
"TSA lady opened my bag and asked me about my Magic: The Gathering booster packs.
I explained that they're not weapons since I have no land." -Day[9]

User Info: happyscrub1

happyscrub1
3 years ago#9
"book" and gaming don't go together.

Get a decent, heavy LAPTOP or don't get nothing at all.
http://happyscrub.com/tierlist.jpg

User Info: happyscrub1

happyscrub1
3 years ago#10
Auron_59261 posted...

My scholarship allows up to 1400 for a laptop. Whatever I don't use get's wasted..

I'm done paying taxes.
http://happyscrub.com/tierlist.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Ultrabook for school/light gaming ~ $1k ??

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived