This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If I overclock, will I need a better PSU?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. If I overclock, will I need a better PSU?

User Info: StormKMD

StormKMD
3 years ago#1
Hey guys, I was wondering, if I decide to get this water cooler:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181010

and overclock my CPU, will I need a better PSU? My specs are below, and I have 4 case fans 120mm. And what should I overclock to?
MSI 660 GeForce 2GB | i5 3570K | AsRock Z77 Pro3 | Seagate Barracuda 500GB | Ballistix 8GB | Corsair CX430

User Info: gastaman

gastaman
3 years ago#2
You should be fine.
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200

User Info: TheWayOfTheGun

TheWayOfTheGun
3 years ago#3
Just do the Math to see how much voltage you can increase in your OC.

StormKMD
3 years ago#4
Is there a way to measure how much wattage I'm using? Like a program or something?

I'm a noob at OC'ing, so maybe someone could provide me with some helpful information?
MSI 660 GeForce 2GB | i5 3570K | AsRock Z77 Pro3 | Seagate Barracuda 500GB | Ballistix 8GB | Corsair CX430

User Info: cuteboi100

cuteboi100
3 years ago#5
StormKMD posted...
Is there a way to measure how much wattage I'm using? Like a program or something?

I'm a noob at OC'ing, so maybe someone could provide me with some helpful information?

Certainly. I love this PSU calculator by Thermaltake: http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/

Edit: It doesn't measure how much wattage you're using with your computer but gives you an idea of how much you should be using.
Xbox Live GT:ScaryPillow , iHaruyuki TERA:
LoL : ScaryPillow Maplestory: MLGLordly 16x I/L Arch Mage

StormKMD
3 years ago#6
Thanks that helped. Apparently I'm using like 270ish and to overclock it to 4.2 it goes to 290ish.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. If I overclock, will I need a better PSU?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived