This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Massive fps drops in all of my games?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Massive fps drops in all of my games?

User Info: refmon

refmon
3 years ago#1
I don't know what the problem could be but whats the most common issues?
If you read this signature, then that meant that I had control of what you read for 5 SECONDS!!

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
3 years ago#2
If it happens after a time, it could be heat and your video card is going to lower power mode to cool down.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: pothocket

pothocket
3 years ago#3
If you're using AMD turn off PhysX effects.
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson

refmon
3 years ago#4
SinisterSlay posted...
If it happens after a time, it could be heat and your video card is going to lower power mode to cool down.

It was fine two days ago but now right when I start a game its fps is cut in half. I'm also using nvidia
If you read this signature, then that meant that I had control of what you read for 5 SECONDS!!

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
3 years ago#5
Turn off adaptive Vsync or any vsync and see if your framerate improves.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: Flaktrooper123

Flaktrooper123
3 years ago#6
Other than things already explained above, other common problems I could think of:
- New startup program, did you installed something lately? It may eat up your available RAM and processor power.
-Overheating. Did you notice one of the usual fan noises in the PC went missing? If so, check if your CPU or GPU fans goes dead.

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
3 years ago#7
1.) First thing - run a malware/virus scan

2.) Run a program like Furmark and check your temperatures

3.) Try doing a fresh install of your current GPU driver, using Driver Cleaner to wipe out traces of previous driver.

4.) Did you install any new software/AV/malware suite recently? Check your running processes/services and CPU usage while playing a game.

5.) Check your CPU temperature

6.) Check that the supplemental power cable(s) is securely connected to your GPU and that your GPU is firmly seated in the PCI-E slot (it is possible, though not very likely for thermal expansion to cause expansion cards to move out of their slots a bit) - also check that your RAM is firmly seated in the DIMM slots.

7.) Ensure that you have all Windows updates installed/check recently installed Windows updates for possible conflicts.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

refmon
3 years ago#8
JKatarn posted...

3.) Try doing a fresh install of your current GPU driver, using Driver Cleaner to wipe out traces of previous driver.

4.) Did you install any new software/AV/malware suite recently? Check your running processes/services and CPU usage while playing a game.

6.) Check that the supplemental power cable(s) is securely connected to your GPU and that your GPU is firmly seated in the PCI-E slot (it is possible, though not very likely for thermal expansion to cause expansion cards to move out of their slots a bit) - also check that your RAM is firmly seated in the DIMM slots.

7.) Ensure that you have all Windows updates installed/check recently installed Windows updates for possible conflicts.

Thanks I'll do this all but I just got a special pool detected memory corruption error if that means anything

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
3 years ago#9
refmon posted...
JKatarn posted...

Thanks I'll do this all but I just got a special pool detected memory corruption error if that means anything

That sounds like a RAM issue, I would burn off a MemTest86 disc and run at least 2/3 passes, preferably more if you want to be thorough, though typically if it doesn't find anything in 2 or 3 passes you're fine.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: Ningishzida

Ningishzida
3 years ago#10
JKatarn posted...

do this last, that stress-testing app isn't to be used flippantly.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Massive fps drops in all of my games?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived