This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do so many people use C++ over C#?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do so many people use C++ over C#?

User Info: Knighted Dragon

Knighted Dragon
4 years ago#1
I'm learning C# right now and I prefer VB to it, but C# isn't that bad, and from what I understand isn't it just a newer C++? Google didn't help clarify the point of using C++ over C# besides people who know C++ not liking change. Is that actually the reason, or does it have any benefits beyond C++ already being established in most places?
Matthew 7:21
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2492/gyenyame.jpg

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
4 years ago#2
Performance, wider platform support, and not being handcuffed to Microsoft come to mind immediately. That and the fact it's extremely rare a programmer gets to choose the language they work with in the corporate world.
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.

User Info: electroflame

electroflame
4 years ago#3
C# is more convenient to use, but C++ is more "traditional".

C# can be just as multiplatform as C++, but most engines are already written in C++, and most programmers are already familiar with C++.

Personally, I prefer C# to C++, but each language has it's different merits. C++ is better for low-level, "gotta scrape the most performance out of this" type of thing, but C# is better for getting things done quickly and easily, and not having to worry about cleaning up all of your memory/pointers, etc. C# is newer, so there's that, too.

Depends on the task, really. More things are starting to use C#, but C# won't replace C++ any time soon. I do believe it's more about C++ being more battle-proven, and established than C#, not that C# is inherently more crappy than C++.
Could be worse, they could have been American givers and you would have been smothered in small pox. -fakenamefignuts on Indian-Giving.
Steam ID: electroflame

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
4 years ago#4
C# can be just as multiplatform as C++.
Not in this reality it can't. Not by a loooooooooong shot.
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.

User Info: jordandrako

jordandrako
4 years ago#5
It's Microsofts answer to C++ but it isn't as versatile.
i5-3570k @ 4.0Ghz | Gigabyte GTX670 | M4 128GB SSD | 2.5TB HDD | DDR3 1600 8GB | 520W
http://imgur.com/a/uSBwE
(message deleted)

User Info: CC Ricers

CC Ricers
4 years ago#7
Orestes417 posted...
C# can be just as multiplatform as C++.

Depends on how low-level you want to go. Mono can certainly make porting some things easier, though I've seen it mostly done for certain games and windowed GUI apps.

C++ is still supported for legacy apps, but I see more jobs asking for Java and C# programmers than native C++ programmers.

The major exception being video games. it's still very common to need C++ for engine development, and any higher level languages are used for scripting or developer tools.
WikiLeaks scandal: WikiLeaks is not a true Wiki!

User Info: electroflame

electroflame
4 years ago#8

It most certainly can, it's just generally more work. If the platform doesn't support it natively, you need some kind of cross-compiler or something of the sort. (Luckily, there's a ton of cross-compilers for C# already out there -- chances are there's one to fit your current project's needs, etc.)

Remember, just because it's written in C# does not mean that it has to be compiled using a C# compiler into compiled C#.
Could be worse, they could have been American givers and you would have been smothered in small pox. -fakenamefignuts on Indian-Giving.
Steam ID: electroflame

User Info: luigi13579

luigi13579
4 years ago#9
It's just about using the right tool for the job really. C++ is better suited to some things, while C# is better suited to others.

C++ is good if you need more control over memory and/or need to work at a lower level (e.g. for systems programming, intensive graphical applications like AAA 3D games, GUI applications that you want to be as responsive as possible, etc.).

C# manages memory for you with garbage collection (although there are still some things you need to be aware of), so it's a bit easier to use in that regard. You should be using smart pointers in C++ though, as they make memory management a hell of a lot safer, and in many cases have virtually no overhead (shared_ptr is one exception).

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
4 years ago#10
C++ for performance, C# for easy development.
That's basically it.

So when your developing something that must run as fast as possible, you will use C++.
When you are developing something that must be developed as fast as possible, you will use C#.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do so many people use C++ over C#?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived