This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do PC parts have planned obsolescence?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do PC parts have planned obsolescence?

User Info: TastyKittyMMMM

TastyKittyMMMM
3 years ago#1
Most other electronic things have this where the thing dies very close to the warranty expiration. How convenient for a steady flow of money to the distributors, right? For me, I play mostly indie games. Since about May 2011, I've had a GTX 580, 4 GB ram, i5-2500k @3.3 ghz. Checking out random titles on Can You Run It, the only thing it seems I need to update is the ram. 99% of titles are still good, especially considering I play lite games as I said.

Assuming the games I play keep having low specs, can I keep playing for quite a few more years on these specs? Or like I said, do PC parts "conveniently" die after a set period of time?

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
3 years ago#2
I've rarely had any PC parts die on me. I've had one video card that was a lemon and a handful of hard disks have gone bad over the decades which isn't surprising because they have moving parts and I put them to work a lot of the time.

User Info: dlf

dlf
3 years ago#3
Isn't planned obsolescence illegal in (some?) countries?
I have built http://pcpartpicker.com/p/P5kr - Minus a few parts.

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
3 years ago#4
Cheap parts do.
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64

User Info: ExtremeLuchador

ExtremeLuchador
3 years ago#5
I had a motherboard where the USB ports quit working. I had a video card die with a scorch mark after a year.
"It was horrible," guard Jeff McInnis said.
"I took 100 naps and we were still in the air."

User Info: Knight2520

Knight2520
3 years ago#6
Most other electronic things have this where the thing dies very close to the warranty expiration.

Have an actual basis for your claim other than wanting to troll?
I have very little time for the Internet now and I'm not even a millionaire yet. - Krycek18

User Info: Devil_wings00

Devil_wings00
3 years ago#7
Never had that problem. Have computers over a decade old that still run fine. All electronics are prone to failure at some point no matter what. It's not planned, it's just the nature of electronics.
3570k @ 1.260v - 4.6Ghz, GTX 580 @ 980/2106, ASUS Sabertooth z77, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHZ, Intel 335 SSD (boot).
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do PC parts have planned obsolescence?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived