This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

wireless internet to another wireless router question

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. wireless internet to another wireless router question

User Info: pelon213

pelon213
3 years ago#1
I have my centurylink wireless router/modem in my room. I want to get internet in guest room. I know i can get another modem for that room to get internet but can i plug in a wireless router & connect to share internet from modem/router in my room? I am at work right now so can't check but i have been thinking if i connect then wireless router will show up on my list then i can give it access right?
XboX Tag = XAztec WarriorX
STEAM = Pelon213

User Info: LordSeifer

LordSeifer
3 years ago#2
you actually CANT plug in a second modem and expect that to work like an independent connection

but yes you can use a second router.

you have two options, run a cable between the two, in which case any router will work with a little bit of setup.
or run it wifi to wifi, in which case youll need routers that will work together using a feature called WDS, which not all routers have, and itll have to be in a spot where the signal is still good, cant put it in a spot with bad signal and expect it to work well.

so best option here, run cable from router A to router B, if you need help doing the setup just ask, or alternatively google , "use router as access point."
^ this

User Info: pelon213

pelon213
3 years ago#3
So can't do two modems then. I guess I will run Ethernet threw attic & down wall. Make it nice & clean. Thx for the help.
XboX Tag = XAztec WarriorX
STEAM = Pelon213

User Info: OmegaDL50

OmegaDL50
3 years ago#4
Just be mindful the longest total length for ethernet is 100m, or just a bit over 300 feet. If you go any further you would begin to have an excessive amount of packet collisions, reducing your effective throughput.

You may not be using a cable that long but just keep that mind if you do. You may want to consider using a signal repeater that could help if you run into this issue.
A fan is confident in the game they prefer being able to stand on its own merits.
A fanatic attacks the opposing game showing insecurity in the game they like.

User Info: nIMr0D888

nIMr0D888
3 years ago#5
Get an ethernet over power adapter.
CAUTION: EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCE

User Info: LordSeifer

LordSeifer
3 years ago#6
OmegaDL50 posted...
Just be mindful the longest total length for ethernet is 100m, or just a bit over 300 feet. If you go any further you would begin to have an excessive amount of packet collisions, reducing your effective throughput.

You may not be using a cable that long but just keep that mind if you do. You may want to consider using a signal repeater that could help if you run into this issue.

who has a house where this would be a concern?
^ this
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. wireless internet to another wireless router question

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived