This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Tomb Raider's on sale on Steam, and I almost want to get it just to test my PC.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Tomb Raider's on sale on Steam, and I almost want to get it just to test my PC.

User Info: Kisai

Kisai
3 years ago#1
I heard the improved hair option is PC exclusive, and apparently, pretty demanding on resources. A part of me wants to pay $12 just to benchmark my PC's performance and see how well it handles running that graphical option at the highest settings, and see if it keeps a steady 60 FPS. If it can manage that somehow, then I'll record FRAPs with it and see if it still manages 60 FPS, but I doubt I'll even get that far.

I know it sounds silly, but I'm looking at this as just a challenge for my PC set up. Just to see if I can, nothing more.
WHO MODS THE MODERATORS?

User Info: Last_Grand_Mage

Last_Grand_Mage
3 years ago#2
/BlogFAQs
I try, but not very hard, product of my generation-snoochtonooch

User Info: SleepComa

SleepComa
3 years ago#3
what do you mean
Duck Butter

User Info: Slayn

Slayn
3 years ago#4
I had to turn off the hair, it didn't work quite right with my GTX660. She was hanging upside down and her hair was flipping around like crazy, I couldn't play without laughing. Even if it works right in the videos I saw, it looks weird, like her hair can't touch her shoulders because it's hot lava.

The game seems decent enough though. Did you get Deadspace 3? That's what I use to test out graphics, that game looks nice.
#1 LoL Poster NA: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/63627116

User Info: DV8ingSources

DV8ingSources
3 years ago#5
What are your specs?

Ultimate settings will require better than a 7970 for 60fps. It only averages ~53 fps on its own. A titan falls even below that due to AMD's superior opencl performance (which is what tressFX runs on).

edit: ^@1080p
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1

Kisai
3 years ago#6
DV8ingSources posted...
What are your specs?

Ultimate settings will require better than a 7970 for 60fps. It only averages ~53 fps on its own. A titan falls even below that due to AMD's superior opencl performance (which is what tressFX runs on).

GeForce GTX 670
8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.80 GHz

Slayn posted...
The game seems decent enough though. Did you get Deadspace 3? That's what I use to test out graphics, that game looks nice.

Really? I hadn't heard anything about Dead Space 3. Just Crysis and Tomb Raider. Well, I guess Crysis isn't that demanding nowadays, but a few years ago...
WHO MODS THE MODERATORS?

User Info: DV8ingSources

DV8ingSources
3 years ago#7
Kisai posted...
GeForce GTX 670
8 GB RAM

Damn near identical to my system. You won't be maxing it at 60fps. Turn off tressFX and you will hold a fairly steady 60fps though. Fraps will likely cut you down a little but not a whole lot so long as you are recording onto a different harddrive.
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1

Kisai
3 years ago#8
DV8ingSources posted...
Kisai posted...
GeForce GTX 670
8 GB RAM

Damn near identical to my system. You won't be maxing it at 60fps. Turn off tressFX and you will hold a fairly steady 60fps though. Fraps will likely cut you down a little but not a whole lot so long as you are recording onto a different harddrive.

I'd LIKE another hard drive, but I'm not sure my case can hold one. And no? I won't? That sucks. That means I'll have to try and upgrade or something...
WHO MODS THE MODERATORS?

User Info: Dark_Spiret

Dark_Spiret
3 years ago#9
its a pretty nice looker regardless of hair physics. have you already played it? cause if not get it. its a really good game regardless.
Currently playing: Nier - Shadow Warrior Redux - Parasite Eve 2

User Info: BIGGESTPS3FAN

BIGGESTPS3FAN
3 years ago#10
DV8ingSources posted...
What are your specs?

Eh, the game ran at 60+ FPS for the most part. There were times where it would drop a little lower (And when you got close enough to her hair, it would drop even further...). I don't have any proof during gameplay that it would run higher, but here is my benchmark where I average 68 FPS.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=131023537

It really dipped if you went above the Ultimate Preset and turned on 4x SSAO and ultra shadows.
Intel i5-3570k | Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 x2 | 8 GB G.Skill Ripjaw X | Asus P8Z77-V Pro | Corsair 500R | Corsair HX750 | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 120 GB Intel 520 SSD
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Tomb Raider's on sale on Steam, and I almost want to get it just to test my PC.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived