This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Just got my parent's old PC, how to clear all unnecessary stuff on the PC?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Just got my parent's old PC, how to clear all unnecessary stuff on the PC?

User Info: Aadrian1234

Aadrian1234
3 years ago#1
i just my parent's old PC, which doesn't run that fast in the first place, but i want to clear everything that i don't need on it to make it run the fastest it can. I was thinking about a factory reset, but i'm not sure if that will delete the OS or anything else important. It is a storebought PC using Windows XP, BTW.
"This...sentence...is...false!"
"Umm... True, I pick true. See? Not hard at all"

User Info: kobalobasileus

kobalobasileus
3 years ago#2
There is no factory reset with XP. You'll have to reformat the drive and reinstall Windows and all the drivers.

User Info: Aadrian1234

Aadrian1234
3 years ago#3
kobalobasileus posted...
There is no factory reset with XP. You'll have to reformat the drive and reinstall Windows and all the drivers.

im fairly new to computers, to re-install windows and the drivers i need the disk containing the OS, correct? because we dont have that anymore
"This...sentence...is...false!"
"Umm... True, I pick true. See? Not hard at all"

User Info: squarenixfan119

squarenixfan119
3 years ago#4
Get the windows key, either from a sticker on the computer or using software, then you can create your own OS disk from legally obtainable ISOs online.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2705976737.png

User Info: Tekutso

Tekutso
3 years ago#5
squarenixfan119 posted...
Get the windows key, either from a sticker on the computer or using software, then you can create your own OS disk from legally obtainable ISOs online.

can you link where I could obtain the legal ISOs by any chance?
Don Mattrick and co. XBONED me so now I'm on a Cerny Journey to BASED SONY to beg forgiveness from LORD Jack Tretton

User Info: squarenixfan119

squarenixfan119
3 years ago#6
Tekutso posted...
squarenixfan119 posted...

can you link where I could obtain the legal ISOs by any chance?

My bad, I assumed that since you can download Windows 7/8 ISOs legally, the same went for XP. Apparently that isn't the case. My apologies.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2705976737.png
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Just got my parent's old PC, how to clear all unnecessary stuff on the PC?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived