The next GameFAQs contest is here! Sign in and enter a Best Year in Gaming bracket for a chance at a $1000 grand prize!

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Rate my build

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Rate my build

User Info: GamerXGamer

GamerXGamer
3 years ago#1
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/StealthyDoom/saved/2o50

Any improvements? Don't need peripherals or OS.

User Info: Knight2520

Knight2520
3 years ago#2
Little overboard on the PSU. I would recommend a modular unit instead too.

Other than that it looks good.
Xbox LIVE Gamertag: Onyx Spartan II
The Timurids will never find me in America! - BlueYoshi579

User Info: GamerXGamer

GamerXGamer
3 years ago#3
Futureproofing, may SLI in the future. Did not like the price point of modular and opted for semi. with good cable management would it make that much of a difference?

User Info: aak57

aak57
3 years ago#4
Eh, for that much money I'd get a better cooler than an EVO 212 (maybe the H60 2013 version). I'd also probably opt for a 7970 instead of the 770. I don't know much about the PSU, but if it has a good manufacturer then I think it's a good buy even if overkill (since the other store prices lead me to believe it's a good price).
http://i.imgur.com/ULj4q.jpg
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.

User Info: OmegaDL50

OmegaDL50
3 years ago#5
Unless you plan to SLI or do massive overclocking you won't need a 850w power supply (Also that brand is very questionable) in fact that system as is won't draw more then 500w TOTAL.

In fact even with a 650w PSU you could still SLI and do a mild OC comfortably. Also that rams heat spreaders sit rather high and may create a clearance issue with your Hyper 212 cooler.

CPU is fine, motherboard is fine. No problems with the case (It's the same one I have)
A fan is confident in the game they prefer being able to stand on its own merits.
A fanatic attacks the opposing game showing insecurity in the game they like.

User Info: Nicodimus

Nicodimus
3 years ago#6
GamerXGamer posted...
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/StealthyDoom/saved/2o50

Any improvements? Don't need peripherals or OS.

That build is very nice, but I have 2 minor tweaking thoughts.

-That PSU is seriously overkill. Even if you SLI another 770 in there, it only estimates 654W usage. It doesn't hurt anything, but I'd get a 750W 80 Plus Bronze PSU instead.

-If you have (or will have soon) a 1440p monitor, a 120 Hz monitor, or multiple monitors, I think it's worth the extra $50 to get the 4GB version of the same card you have. Pushing more pixels takes more VRAM.
Intel i5 4670k | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64

User Info: Captain_Drek

Captain_Drek
3 years ago#7
Knight2520 posted...
Little overboard on the PSU. I would recommend a modular unit instead too.

Other than that it looks good.

This. You gave it almost 2x what it needs. I'd grab a 500 or a 550 modular unit.
"There's always money in the banana stand."
3DS FC: 3738-0451-3244

User Info: aak57

aak57
3 years ago#8
Guys, 850W is indeed overkill but if it's quality unit, $90 for a modular PSU is not far from what he was looking at anyway.
http://i.imgur.com/ULj4q.jpg
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.

User Info: maybecalls

maybecalls
3 years ago#9
So, quad core non-HT CPUs are still considered to be good choices for new gaming PC builds? Good to know.

User Info: Knight2520

Knight2520
3 years ago#10
Futureproofing, may SLI in the future. Did not like the price point of modular and opted for semi. with good cable management would it make that much of a difference?

Not really unless you have serious cable OCD. Looks like a good build then.

So, quad core non-HT CPUs are still considered to be good choices for new gaming PC builds? Good to know.

What's your point?
GENERATION 117: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number. Consider it a social experiment.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Rate my build

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived