This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

May convert to PC gaming (Opinions needed)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. May convert to PC gaming (Opinions needed)

User Info: ItsAnAddiction

ItsAnAddiction
4 years ago#1
1. Whats a decent laptop for gaming?

2. Around how much cash for a decent one?

3. Do brands really matter? (alienware, acer, toshiba etc.)

User Info: thebladeofwoe

thebladeofwoe
4 years ago#2
Well for a start off, what level of gaming do you want? Serious high end £1200+? Or something averagely decent?

The specs in my sig are from a Lenovo APU system with dual graphics cards (works a treat on all games except those benchmark games like crysis and BF3) only cost me £499. A really good mid ground laptop. I can play a varity of games (not indie titles either!?) @ medium to high settings. I get a solid 60fps on blops2 oh medium and 45/60 on high.

Tl:dr what you looking to spend and what type of specs? Low med high end gaming?

Also brand can be a good decider too.
A10 ('@2.3) HD 7600G & HD 7670M 8gb ram W8.

User Info: triple s

triple s
4 years ago#3
Don't get a laptop for gaming....
GT:Triple S 06
Steam ID:triples22

User Info: NotQuiteAFreak

NotQuiteAFreak
4 years ago#4
triple s posted...
Don't get a laptop for gaming....
Not changing sig till we get a sequel to Freedom Fighters.
Started 13/4/2010

User Info: Nicodimus

Nicodimus
4 years ago#5
ItsAnAddiction posted...

I would not bother with a gaming laptop. They are far too expensive, and for the most part you can't upgrade them the way you do a desktop PC.

If you are Scrooge McDuck, and you're swimming in gold, I guess you can drop $2000 to do what a $1000 (upgradeable) desktop can do. It's really a bad value any way you slice it.
Intel i5 4670k | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64

User Info: BilliePilgrim

BilliePilgrim
4 years ago#6
Nicodimus posted...
ItsAnAddiction posted...

I would not bother with a gaming laptop. They are far too expensive, and for the most part you can't upgrade them the way you do a desktop PC.

If you are Scrooge McDuck, and you're swimming in gold, I guess you can drop $2000 to do what a $1000 (upgradeable) desktop can do. It's really a bad value any way you slice it.

I hate posts like this. Until the tc states a purpose, assume he has a reason for wanting a laptop. For all the value of a desktop, mine still can't be taken with me on my frequent travels. I'm assuming the same is true for most people.
i5 2500k @ 4.4| Corsair H60 | EVGA GTX 670 | MSI P67A-GD55 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | Fractal Design Define XL | 750W PSU
http://tinyurl.com/bsdvav7

User Info: Boge

Boge
4 years ago#7
He's new to PC gaming. Perhaps he doesn't realize that you can get a good performing Desktop for $1000, or the same performance Laptop for $1400.
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.

User Info: Javelin

Javelin
4 years ago#8
1. Too general a question.

2. Around $1200 for a good one. $1000 should be the absolute minimum for a "gaming laptop".

3. Yes, bu not in the way most people think. Forget that Alienware exists, and don't buy one from the business supply OEMs like Acer. If you want a true gaming laptop, get a Sager/Clevo.

All that said, unless you have some special circumstances where you absolutely need a laptop, get a desktop for gaming.
MSI Z77A-GD55 | Intel Core i7-3770K | Kingston HyperX 8GB | EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB

User Info: ThunderPotato

ThunderPotato
4 years ago#9
Don't ask about gaming laptops here, everyone likes to pretend every game is Crysis 3 specs or higher and that no laptop on the face of the earth could ever run a game past 10 fps.

tldr :Laptops stole PCH's gf.(allegedly)
Draven: He's the hero GameFAQs deserves, but not the one it needs right now.

User Info: BilliePilgrim

BilliePilgrim
4 years ago#10
Boge posted...
He's new to PC gaming. Perhaps he doesn't realize that you can get a good performing Desktop for $1000, or the same performance Laptop for $1400.

Well you know what they say about assumptions.
i5 2500k @ 4.4| Corsair H60 | EVGA GTX 670 | MSI P67A-GD55 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | Fractal Design Define XL | 750W PSU
http://tinyurl.com/bsdvav7
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. May convert to PC gaming (Opinions needed)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived