This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any way to squeeze out more performance through software alone?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Any way to squeeze out more performance through software alone?

User Info: HarryMaySin

HarryMaySin
3 years ago#1
Is there any way to get maybe 5-10% better performance without changing out hardware?

I mean things like

-optimizing windows so only the absolute necessary programs are running?
-using a different OS other than windows?
-i remember i used to do something to a file in order to make it run at "higher priority" and utilize more CPU/RAM etc but i forgot how to do it and I am wondering if it really makes a noticable difference?
-Does defragging every once in awhile actually help performance?

i have been away from computer gaming for a few years but I am getting a new pc delivered in a few days and I want to make the most out of it. I think its a decent rig... its definitely not a monster machine but I am kind of limited at the moment and all i would really need in the future is a new MOBO/PSU/GPU/CPU to make it a monster (the case,ram,HD are good enough for me)

if you guys have any tips or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it =]

User Info: GrimmViking

GrimmViking
3 years ago#2
http://www.razerzone.com/gamebooster
"Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Jesus came into the world to save sinners--of whom I am the worst." - 1 Timothy 1:15

User Info: Smakkyoface

Smakkyoface
3 years ago#3
software optimization doesn't really improve anything if your hardware isn't congested.

changing process priority from normal to high, for example, doesn't really affect anything until your cpu is at 100%.

What kind of hardware did you order? I'm sure it would be alright for a while. Just make sure to maintain it. Defrag, disable startup programs that you dont need, etc.

Game booster only has noticeable gains on really low end hardware.
Xbox Live / PSN / Steam: Smakkyoface
i7 3770k @ 4.66ghz, 24GB DDR3 1600, Evga Gtx 670 FTW.

User Info: Slayn

Slayn
3 years ago#4
Overclock your monitor.
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.

User Info: uncle_Descartes

uncle_Descartes
3 years ago#5
- This doesn't mean much on a decent gaming computer. At best, disabling certain programs like a buggy AV will slightly reduce laggy input. But regardless it will never make the difference between a game running poorly and running fine.

- Good luck running most games on a non-Windows OS.

- Doesn't really make a difference unless the CPU is getting high usage - games don't use 100% out of principle, so you'd have to be running something like a video render simultaneously...

- It might slightly decrease load times, but that's it. Definitely won't get rid of the occasional "stutter" that happens when you don't have enough RAM to comfortably run a game.

The real boost will come from updating your video card drivers regularly.

User Info: Maximoom

Maximoom
3 years ago#6
download more ram.

HarryMaySin
3 years ago#7
thank you uncle, and to the trolls..... hey you guys are very very funny i bet you have the cutest girlfriend(s). i wish i was like you guys.

User Info: Dinglesteed

Dinglesteed
3 years ago#8
Slayn posted...
Overclock your monitor.

Only if you have a power cable that is unlocked though.
Playing: Dragon's Crown, MLB the Show 13, Pikmin 3, Project X Zone, ETS2
3DS FC: 2191-7639-5571

HarryMaySin
3 years ago#9
Dinglesteed posted...
Slayn posted...
Overclock your monitor.

Only if you have a power cable that is unlocked though.

really funny, well thought out and great post that contributes a lot.

you should do stand up comedy

User Info: Ch3wy

Ch3wy
3 years ago#10
I would probably check out those websites they advertise on TV for making your computer run fast. They have a lot of great testimonials on the commercials.
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Any way to squeeze out more performance through software alone?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived