This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

In the market for a laptop. Clueless and feeling a bit overwhelmed.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. In the market for a laptop. Clueless and feeling a bit overwhelmed.

User Info: Bugmeat

Bugmeat
4 years ago#1
It's been along time since I've picked out a PC. Processor options were fairly limited and the only thing that really mattered was the speed. There seems to be so many of them out there now and I don't even know where to go to find out which ones are decent and which ones are garbage. It doesn't help that it seems every laptop I look at has a different processor. So yeah, feeling a bit overwhelmed here. Some advice, some suggestions or even just a place to start would be really appreciated.

My budget is $400-$500. Gaming on it is not a concern. I just need a good solid laptop that won't be annoyingly slow 4 years from now. My previous one, which recently died on me would tend to slow down when I would watch a movie in one window and do something else in another, which I do quite often. It didn't really like a lot of flash games either as it would take twice as long to load them as other laptops in the house. It didn't even like youtube much anymore. It was a hand me down and I was happy to have it. But now that I can get a new one I'd like to avoid those issues.

This one had been recently suggested to me. It is currently out of stock there. I thought it might be prudent to get some more opinions or advice while I wait for it to get restocked (everyone else seems to want nearly $100 more for it).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312821
Nobody likes me. Everybody hates me. I think I'll just feed the worms

User Info: Javelin

Javelin
4 years ago#2
This one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230987
MSI Z77A-GD55 | Intel Core i7-3770K | Kingston HyperX 8GB | EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB

User Info: CloudZ1116

CloudZ1116
4 years ago#3
That one looks nice and all, but it only has 1366 x 768 res on a 15.6" screen. I don't know how they get away with that while using a discrete graphics chip, but I feel like they must be gimping on something (most likely the display).
Intel Core i7 2600k | XFX Radeon HD 7950 | MSI P67A-G45 | Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 16GB | Crucial M4 128GB | WD Cavair Black 1TB | OCZ Fatal1ty 750W

Bugmeat
4 years ago#4
I tend to keep them connected to my TV and just sit back on the couch with a wireless keyboard and mouse, so the display isn't really an issue for me. I'd rather they skimp on the display and put a little more inside. But that one is right there at the maximum and once tax and shipping are included it'll be over. I'm not paying for it so I kind of feel obligated to come in a little under.

Even though it spends most of it's time connected to the TV I do like the option of it being portable when I do need to take it somewhere.

Bugmeat
4 years ago#5
Is there anything obviously wrong with either of these?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314150

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834216600

User Info: self-immolation

self-immolation
4 years ago#6
Javelin posted...
This one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230987

610m

lol
SMELL THE GASOLINE
I LIGHT THE FIRE INSIDE

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
4 years ago#7
Bugmeat posted...
It's been along time since I've picked out a PC. Processor options were fairly limited and the only thing that really mattered was the speed. There seems to be so many of them out there now and I don't even know where to go to find out which ones are decent and which ones are garbage. It doesn't help that it seems every laptop I look at has a different processor. So yeah, feeling a bit overwhelmed here. Some advice, some suggestions or even just a place to start would be really appreciated.

My budget is $400-$500. Gaming on it is not a concern. I just need a good solid laptop that won't be annoyingly slow 4 years from now. My previous one, which recently died on me would tend to slow down when I would watch a movie in one window and do something else in another, which I do quite often. It didn't really like a lot of flash games either as it would take twice as long to load them as other laptops in the house. It didn't even like youtube much anymore. It was a hand me down and I was happy to have it. But now that I can get a new one I'd like to avoid those issues.

This one had been recently suggested to me. It is currently out of stock there. I thought it might be prudent to get some more opinions or advice while I wait for it to get restocked (everyone else seems to want nearly $100 more for it).

Choose one.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: Truthtela

Truthtela
4 years ago#8
JKatarn posted...
Bugmeat posted...

Choose one.

Doesn't really apply in this case...
How's your muffin?

User Info: Pyrotechnixxx

Pyrotechnixxx
4 years ago#9
What I'd recommend is getting whatever laptop suits your fancy, and then putting a SSD drive in it. Most of the "slowdown" people associate with a computer is due to the limited speed of their hard drive.
Fear is a leash.

User Info: Black_King945

Black_King945
4 years ago#10
This one is 550, but appears to be an end of life model with a very nice discount, good resolution for the screen size, i5 processor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230988

Avoiding the annoying slowdown you are worried about can be achieved by wiping the operating system yearly, disabling unnecessary manufacturer software, and avoiding any drops/shock that will cause premature hard drive failure.

Also, when you say you are worried about them 'gimping' on the display, keep in mind you are looking for a budget laptop, gimping is the name of the game.
i7 3770K | Asus Maximus V Gene | 16GB Gskill | Asus 660ti | Seasonic 500W
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. In the market for a laptop. Clueless and feeling a bit overwhelmed.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived