This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need advice on a router

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Need advice on a router

User Info: betatech

betatech
3 years ago#1
I have an Asus RT-N66U, unfortunately this has been given wifi hassle for some time now and I'm sick of it so I'm looking at replacing it (I've done all the diagnosing I can including contacting Asus who say it's probably a hardware issue which given that this is the second N66U I've had means that I just want to return it).

What good replacement models should I look at? Maximum budget is 150-160 and preferably from Amazon UK as I like their returns policy.

My connection is FTTC/Cable and it MUST support IGMP.

Thank you.
Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Intel i7 3770K 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, Ati Radeon 5770 1GB, CM 690 II. Win7 x64.

betatech
3 years ago#2
Bump.
Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Intel i7 3770K 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, Ati Radeon 5770 1GB, CM 690 II. Win7 x64.

betatech
3 years ago#3
bump.

User Info: LordSeifer

LordSeifer
3 years ago#4
150 pounds are you nuts
^ this

User Info: Winpus

Winpus
3 years ago#5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0JFfpG4BWI&list=FLSm3tkEGL2L_EDfdwWkMYBw&index=2
Should be able to handle everything you need, and assuming you have a spare computer laying around like most of us do, it'll only run you about $30 maybe for some spare parts like a case or NIC if you lack something like that.

User Info: Chetyre

Chetyre
3 years ago#6
pfSense is exactly what I came here to recommend.
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar

betatech
3 years ago#7
Problem I have with PFSense is that don't have anything suitable to put it on and I still need whatever I get to have a good antenna due to the nature of my house.

Plus I like something that I can easily return if it's no good like what's happened with this Asus.

LordSeifer posted...
150 pounds are you nuts

That's just the maximum I'm willing to go, I just want something that I can leave to manage itself but the Asus has been to problematic over the past half a year even when I tried manually selecting the clearest channel and even had to disable one of the antennas at one point (it did improve the signal for a while).

It's a shame really because when I first got the thing it was brilliant at the job.

User Info: Chetyre

Chetyre
3 years ago#8
you can get a wireless pci card with a good antenna and pfsense can use it as an AP
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar

betatech
3 years ago#9
Chetyre posted...
you can get a wireless pci card with a good antenna and pfsense can use it as an AP

Thats not the only problem though, for example, I need it to go in a specific place where either things I have lying around cant go or it would cause some other hassle.

betatech
3 years ago#10
How easy are third party firmwares?

Just thinking that it could be a firmware issue since it was fine earlier this year.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Need advice on a router

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived