This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can I run GTA4 and Skyrim mods with no trouble on max?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Can I run GTA4 and Skyrim mods with no trouble on max?

User Info: Oakland510_

Oakland510_
3 years ago#1
Never used mods for Skyrim and I didn't even finish the game which I bought at midnight release and also I haven't played GTA4 in a while which I got on console. I heard GTA4 looks amazing with some mods so I wanna play it again on PC.

3.3Ghz Intel Core i5-2500K 6MB Cache Quad-Core
8GB (4GBx2) Corsair Vengeance 12800 DDR3 1600Mhz
1GB GeForce GTX 560Ti GDDR5 PCI-E Dual-DVI/HDMI

User Info: Bowsaa

Bowsaa
3 years ago#2
You'll run into vram issues, especially with modded Skyrim.
RENAMON!! *weeping* YOU HAVEN'T BENT ANYONE OVER THE SINK AND SHOVED A "CHECK THE STICKY* UP THEIR ASS IN MONTHS!! *curls into ball crying*- Cither3000

User Info: Darkcloud20

Darkcloud20
3 years ago#3
Skyrim will absolutely kill your GPU because of vram issues if you use even a bit of Texture mods.
http://raptr.com/Darkcloud1987

User Info: animanganime

animanganime
3 years ago#4
I am sorry but for GTAIV that's not going to fare too well especially with some of the sexy looking mods out there
Here is a video benchmark
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y03B469c-MY
So around 50-ish which is awesome, but the benchmark is quite easy to run because everything happens at night, the second the sun comes up it's a different story
And the game is quite a bit more demanding with some of the photo realistic mods, and that guy from the video OCed his CPU to 4.7 ghz
WC i5 2500k @ 4.4 ghz, 2x GTX 670 DirectCU II, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, 16GB G.Skill 1600 DDR3, Zalman 1000W PSU, Cosmos 1000 Case, HP LP3065 @ 2560 x 1600 IPS

Oakland510_
3 years ago#5
So can I just upgrade my graphic card in order to max them out with mods? If so what's the lowest card I need?

User Info: Slayn

Slayn
3 years ago#6
Oakland510_ posted...
So can I just upgrade my graphic card in order to max them out with mods? If so what's the lowest card I need?

Question should be how much are you willing to spend.

So you want to run a modded Skyrim, Ultra settings, 16x AA at 1080p, 60 fps?
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.

Oakland510_
3 years ago#7
Slayn posted...
Oakland510_ posted...

Question should be how much are you willing to spend.

So you want to run a modded Skyrim, Ultra settings, 16x AA at 1080p, 60 fps?

$500 is the max but just let me know what are the things I need to be able to run Skyrim with those settings you listed as well as GTA4 and possibly future games

Slayn
3 years ago#8
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-5.html

I find it to be pretty accurate. I wouldn't go based off of Skyrim and GTA4 specifically, but the best you can get for your money.

7970 or a GTX770 seem to be your best bet, which I cannot argue with. You could potentially get better performance with two GTX760's for instance, which would be around $500. Actually the performance would be VERY high, but some people don't like SLI. I have two GTX660's and I love the performance.
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.

Oakland510_
3 years ago#9
I got this also

GIGABYTE GA-Z68P-DS3

I would need to upgrade it right? I remember a while ago someone told me it can't do sli. I didn't know much about computers back then and I still don't

Slayn
3 years ago#10
Oakland510_ posted...
I got this also

GIGABYTE GA-Z68P-DS3

I would need to upgrade it right? I remember a while ago someone told me it can't do sli. I didn't know much about computers back then and I still don't

It mentions Crossfire support not but SLI. I don't remember if a motherboard still needs to specifically support SLI or if you only need two PCI-e slots, but I wouldn't change the motherboard just to use two cards. I would go with a single card.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-770-gk104-review,3519-10.html

Going by this review, the 7970 actually beat the 770 in Skyrim, but I think Skyrim heavily favors AMD cards if I recall. They are running the game at 1440p in Ultra, no mods, so 1080p with mods should be easy enough. Also I prefer Anandtech, but they didn't have Skyrim in their review. This benchmark seems a bit more accurate, putting the GTX770 ahead by a little bit.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6994/nvidia-geforce-gtx-770-review/10

I would say that the 7970 is a good buy for a single card at much less than the GTX770, and it overclocks as well. I would say you would be happy with the card for what you want...
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Can I run GTA4 and Skyrim mods with no trouble on max?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived