This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Alright, so I didn't get a Disc Drive with my computer...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Alright, so I didn't get a Disc Drive with my computer...

User Info: matrix0523

matrix0523
3 years ago#1
My friends told me that I would have massive difficulties with installing my motherboard drivers since they come on CD. Will I be able to download them from the internet or should I go to Best Buy and buy one asap?
IGN: Frank West

User Info: OldSorrow

OldSorrow
3 years ago#2
just get one and avoid future hassles
If you don't use Throwback Mode for a full week while logged in, you will lose access.

User Info: Ningishzida

Ningishzida
3 years ago#3
No need to buy an optical drive unless you wanna play your Blu rays

mobo drivers (and every other driver) are available on teh intehwubz, and are more up-to-date anyway

modern OSes don't necessarily need mobo drivers anyway, though it's recommended to install them

User Info: Black_King945

Black_King945
3 years ago#4
As long as you have another computer and a flash drive you can download all your drivers onto it.

Only buy one if you actually have a massive amount of discs you need to access, which usually only happens if you are over 50 and have no idea how digital downloads work.
i7 3770K | Asus Maximus V Gene | 16GB Gskill | Asus 660ti | Seasonic 500W

User Info: Ningishzida

Ningishzida
3 years ago#5
Black_King945 posted...
which usually only happens if you are over 50.

pretty much this, i haven't used an optical drive for anything in like 10 years, other than Blu rays. and even that's rare because current gen movies are like current gen games: they suck

you can install OSes from flash drive and run memtest and other pre-OS diagnostics from them too if your PC isn't from stone age

User Info: Slayn

Slayn
3 years ago#6
I have never used drivers off a CD and I never recommend that you do, unless you are forced to, in order to get something to work. Always download the newest drivers and install directly.
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.

User Info: TimePharaoh

TimePharaoh
3 years ago#7
Black_King945 posted...
Only buy one if you actually have a massive amount of discs you need to access, which usually only happens if you are over 50 and have no idea how digital downloads work.

Or if you're not a derp and understand quality. But by all means, enjoy your crappy products.
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png

User Info: xcmon3yx2

xcmon3yx2
3 years ago#8
yes, as long as windows can find your motherboards LAN driver, if not the PC will not be able to connect to the internet
http://www.youtube.com/user/xcmon3yx777
Let's Play, and Guides

User Info: claytonbuckley

claytonbuckley
3 years ago#9
I have one. My car plays CDs so....

Also optical drives cost like nothing these days, why not just have one.
Steam ID - http://steamcommunity.com/id/somonah/
Origin - Somonah

User Info: MasterDonGero

MasterDonGero
3 years ago#10
Well, you need to at least install the Wireless/LAN driver(s) to be able to download the drivers from the mobo's website, obviously.
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Alright, so I didn't get a Disc Drive with my computer...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived