This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

To Nas or not to Nas?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. To Nas or not to Nas?

User Info: bossyman15

bossyman15
3 years ago#1
I'm trying to decide if I should buy a Nas server (Synology). My main use for it will be to store dvd rips and steam them to Raspberry Pi. I will be the only person who will use it. I will also back up some stuff onto the Nas.

I will also be doing online backup, backing up the Nas and my computer. However I may had a second thought. Why spend money to buy the Nas mainly to watch movies from it when I can just use DVD player to watch it and just back up other stuff online?

So I need your advice. Is there any reason why shouldn't I purchase the Nas server for reasons other than watching movies from it.
My videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/bossyman15

User Info: schadow

schadow
3 years ago#2
If you can afford it you don't need a good reason.
MageofBlood391 posted...
GameFAQs: Because if all else fails, you can always argue semantics.

User Info: TimePharaoh

TimePharaoh
3 years ago#3
Nas lost
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png

User Info: Knight2520

Knight2520
3 years ago#4
Why not look into building your own NAS rather than buying one?
If AMD goes down Intel might safely release i9 for $300 and i7 for $200 and i5 for $100 and i3 for free. - su27Chaos<

User Info: PraetorXyn

PraetorXyn
3 years ago#5
you'd be better off building your own media server.
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9

User Info: UberLurker

UberLurker
3 years ago#6
Depending on the model of NAS, some are "hackable" in the sense that you can access their OS and mod them to do much more than just host files.

I have a D-Link DNS-323, which runs Linux, and here are some of things I use it for:

- DLNA server... naturally.

- Print server... shares my printer to all machines in the house.

- DNS server... names are much more fun than IP numbers for my LAN devices.

- Web server... since the NAS is on all the time its perfect for hosting (lightweight) web pages.

- Web cache server... not sure if it really speeds things up that much but the concept is cool.

- SSH server... I love this for remote access, I just SSH into the NAS with my phone, then I can send WoL packets to any PC at home so I can RDP to them.

Its a handy little device, and all for just ~15 Watts (Kill-a-Watt tested)... but I also understand that not everybody places value in fluff like this.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. To Nas or not to Nas?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived