This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will simply adding RAM and changing the GPU speed up my PC?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Will simply adding RAM and changing the GPU speed up my PC?

User Info: JJkul

JJkul
4 years ago#1
I know that the best option is upgrade the CPU, but more RAM and a GPU upgrade would help somewhat, right?

My current rig can almost play Team Fortress 2 satisfactorily (and that's all I'm looking for for the next few months until I move to Korea and get a laptop, or go to the cheap PC cafes everywhere), but not quite. Rather than upgrading the CPU, I'd prefer to just upgrade the GPU and add some RAM.
Gameplay matters, not graphics
http://www.backloggery.com/main.php?user=jjkul

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
4 years ago#2
More ram might help if you're constantly capping it out, if you already have 4 gigs or more it probably won't help. As for the GPU, it should make games run better but it won't speed up your system any.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
4 years ago#3
GPU will help in games.
RAM will help only if you are running out.
Running out of RAM in a game is usually characterized by stuttering and very long load times.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: JJkul

JJkul
4 years ago#4
Alright, thanks. Since as I said I only need a slight boost, it sounds like this can work.
Gameplay matters, not graphics
http://www.backloggery.com/main.php?user=jjkul

User Info: gsf4lyfe

gsf4lyfe
4 years ago#5
What are your current specs?
Currently playing: GTA V
SteamID: gsf4lyfe
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Will simply adding RAM and changing the GPU speed up my PC?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived