This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Worth it? (CPU upgrade)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Worth it? (CPU upgrade)

User Info: _GRIM_FANDANGO_

_GRIM_FANDANGO_
3 years ago#1
After a week or so of looking for a secondhand CPU I spotted this.

i5 3570 (non-k I am afraid) including unused stock cooler. For 110 euros. Including receipt and warranty. New is 190 euros.
DZ68ZV motherboard. New in bulk packaging. 40 euros. Without receipt and therefore no warranty. I have no price on them new, because they do not seem to be sold anymore in the country I live in.

Both are form "trusted second hand sellers" on a hardware enthusiasts site in the Netherlands with plenty of positive feedback. They already agreed to sell it to me.

Two questions.
-Do you think it is worth it to upgrade from my i5 760 at this point? Considering I am playing BF4 and the like.
-Do you think the price is reasonable? I guess I will sell my i5 760 + mobo for around 50 euros, making the cost of the upgrade about 100 euros in total.
I5 760 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H

User Info: JustPlainEvil

JustPlainEvil
3 years ago#2
depends. the motherboard is a z68, so there's a chance it will not work with a 3570 without a previous gen chip or a bios update.
Touhou/MLP/Animu/Gaming Fan. PSN: MortaLPortaL SteamID:MortaLPortaL_
FX 6300(4.2ghz), Sapphire 7950, 8GB Gskill, M5A99X EVO R2, Corsair TX650, W8.

User Info: MasterDonGero

MasterDonGero
3 years ago#3
I don't think it's worthwhile (overclocking is seriously important to me, and it will help a lot in CPU-bound games), but the price is reasonable.

Also, the poster above me has an extremely valid point.
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
(message deleted)

_GRIM_FANDANGO_
3 years ago#5
So I checked out the intel website, and they have release-notes for every new version of the BIOS they release. In one of the previous BIOS update release-notes, it states that it adds support for 3rd generation intel core processors, which includes the 3570. So I think it should be all good. I will just update through USB.

I had not really thought about it. Since I was not overclocking, I just looked for a functional motherboard that was cheap. There were no z77 motherboards available at this price.
I5 760 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H

_GRIM_FANDANGO_
3 years ago#6
Just realize I might need a CPU to update the BIOS. Hmmm, seems like I was spoiled with Asus's USB update feature. Kind of a catch 22. I need a BIOS update to make the CPU compatible. But I need a compatible CPU to do the BIOS update.

_GRIM_FANDANGO_
3 years ago#7
The cheapest compatible CPU available will still cost me 25 euros, which makes it not worth it, since I can buy a Z77 motherboard for 80.

Damn. Oh well.

_GRIM_FANDANGO_
3 years ago#8
Solved.

Seller just let me know he can flash it for me, or send an i3 2130 with it that I can return to him later. Awesome.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Worth it? (CPU upgrade)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived