This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone have experience re-activating Windows 8?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Anyone have experience re-activating Windows 8?

User Info: mrCube

mrCube
4 years ago#1
I have a copy of Windows 8 Pro that I got through my work. I've been using it since Windows 8 was released, no issues. I recently built a new computer and sold my old one, after formatting the HDD. I installed Windows 8 on this new computer; it allowed me to use the Windows 8 Pro key I had during installation no problem, but after installation, Windows is not activated and the key that I have will not work. Normally with previous versions of Windows this was just a matter of doing the BS phone-in thing to activate, but there's no option for that in Windows 8 it appears. Anyone have any ideas?
---

User Info: YoungAdultLink

YoungAdultLink
4 years ago#2
Call support and tell them you had to buy a new motherboard and processor, but that it's the same computer otherwise.
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya

mrCube
4 years ago#3
Oooookay, figured it out.

I had to do a registry tweak to make Windows think I did an upgrade rather than a clean install. After that, I had to run the activation wizard via an elevated command prompt with a certain argument that got me right to phone activation. From then it was just like normal.

All just to activate a legitimate copy of Windows :/
---

mrCube
4 years ago#4
Wait.. it's still not activated. Guess I'll have to call. I'll do it tomorrow when I feel like bothering with this crap
---

User Info: lionheart5656

lionheart5656
4 years ago#5
Most people try not to activate it once let alone twice.
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.

User Info: blablablax17

blablablax17
4 years ago#6
I had this problem a few months ago.
I was in the phone for hours and talked to like 10 different people.
The ended up giving me a new key.

Let us know what happens.
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.11
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Anyone have experience re-activating Windows 8?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived