This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why don't Intel start making PCI-E dedicated GPU's?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why don't Intel start making PCI-E dedicated GPU's?

User Info: Dirk85UK

Dirk85UK
3 years ago#1
If AMD can make both CPU's and GPU's, then why can't Intel do the same?
i5 2500 | 8Gb DDR3 | GTX 670 FTW | Asus P8 P67 | Intel 330 SSD | XFX 650W | Dell U2711

User Info: Pyrotechnixxx

Pyrotechnixxx
3 years ago#2
It'd be a waste of their time and money. That market doesn't have much room in it for another manufacturer.
Fear is a leash.

User Info: YoungAdultLink

YoungAdultLink
3 years ago#3
Because they can't compete in that space. AMD does it because they bought ATI, a company who did nothing but graphics cards. If Intel wanted to get involved, they'd have to buy Nvidia.
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
3 years ago#4
Also, Intel would try and solder them to the board, like they will be doing with their CPU's.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
3 years ago#5
YoungAdultLink posted...
AMD does it because they bought ATI, a company who did nothing but graphics cards.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: Premium

Premium
3 years ago#6
AMD also used to partly own the factories that made ATI cards even before the takeover.
How do you ejaculate from plane? I try to press the buttons but I do not find it. Sorry for my bad english - Bean0

User Info: Asellus

Asellus
3 years ago#7
They were aiming to for awhile but the performance apparently just wasn't competitive.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3738/intel-kills-larrabee-gpu-will-not-bring-a-discrete-graphics-product-to-market

Which brings back to the endless Intel / nVidia merger rumors.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why don't Intel start making PCI-E dedicated GPU's?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived